need adivce on best SKI\CABIN road trip car for 30k ish

Pierl

I just bought a lodge up north and I'm a bit torn on what to do/get as a weekend/comfortable awd car. The deal is that I'm here in MTL 6 months/year and this car would only serve me to drive up to the cabin. I'm looking to spend more or less 30k since this car won't be driven much but at the same time I'm not willing to drive 2.5 hours in a subaru cross trek.

some thoughts:

-as to be reliable when I need it, so most likely no germans :p or maybe ?
-the car might sit in a garage (on a charger) for weeks without being driven
-I have to drive about 20-30min on a gravel road- summer and winter. So has to be somewhat rugged. A bit of clearance.. allroad and crosscountry would do.. no rock crawling.
-I'm planning to keep the car for a while, 5 years at least. Not looking to lease or get something that is still depreciating a lot. aka grand cherokee and such
-Not a fan of small suvs like RAV4 or CRV. Would prefer a wagon but there something cool about old toyota trucks.

At the moment I'm looking at used 2013-14 4runners..(2014+ still expensive) but they're a bit overkill size wise for what I need.. They seem to keep there value pretty well but they're also pretty basics compared to smaller german SUVs. I'm also looking at the XC70/XC90 but I don't know much about these cars..

Another Idea would be to get rid of my current DD city car I have over here (2012 135i) and just double my budget$$$ to get a new allroad or an XC60.. but then I would have a bran new car sitting in a garage, depreciating for half of the year.

You guys have any suggestions ? Reliable Suvs is not really my thing :rolleyes:

I drive a volvo xc90 so I'm biased. You could get a V70XC or XC60 to have something smaller.
They are very reliable and the most comfortable ride you can get, AWD.
For the use you want, I'd consider a much cheaper vehicule than $30k. I have a 2008 XC90 I paid $12.5k with 143k km and runs like new (very solid no rattle or anything, no rust at all).

p.s. I also own a Tacoma 2009 and in terms of ride quality the volvo is 100x better than the tacoma. You con't need the 4runner ruggedness for what you aim to with with the truck.

Find a low km 2011-2012 4runner and call it a day. As you said, they have great resale value and you might not put that much KM on it each year.

If you're into that kind of look the FJ Cruiser is also a great 4x4 truck that might keep its value.

Why not a brand new Atlas 4motion or a Tiguan 7pass on a leasing for 3 or 4 years?

I will probably only drive 10k a year so lease is not really to my advantage.

I drive a volvo xc90 so I'm biased. You could get a V70XC or XC60 to have something smaller.
They are very reliable and the most comfortable ride you can get, AWD.
For the use you want, I'd consider a much cheaper vehicule than $30k. I have a 2008 XC90 I paid $12.5k with 143k km and runs like new (very solid no rattle or anything, no rust at all).

is your XC90 with the v8 ? how about the 3.2 in the 2013-14 ? The xc60 is a bit soccer mom to my taste by I like the xc70 quite a bit.

Find a low km 2011-2012 4runner and call it a day. As you said, they have great resale value and you might not put that much KM on it each year.

If you're into that kind of look the FJ Cruiser is also a great 4x4 truck that might keep its value.

the fj might be a bit rough for long road trip ? for the 4runner, is there a big difference from the 2011 to 2013 ? 2014 is a face lift or the new\last gen ?

sorry lots of questions.

I have the 3.2, it's not fast stop and go but plenty highway. I just did 4750km in it with 3 kids dog and gf... Two stroller including a double one!
It's a very good highway machine, was averaging 120-130kmh with a very long stretch at 160 no sweat.

It's VERY capable in winter with good tires (I have Hakka non studded), coming from a guy that has a lifted Tacoma with studded Hakka in winter that means a lot.

Check for an executive trim in the latest years, they are fully equipped!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

the fj might be a bit rough for long road trip ? for the 4runner, is there a big difference from the 2011 to 2013 ? 2014 is a face lift or the new\last gen ?

sorry lots of questions.

Try one, it's the best way to know if you like it or not.

14-2014-grand-cherokee-off-road-gravel-driving.jpg

I vote Volvo, but I am biased.

Do a quick search in General for Volvo, there are a few threads in which I have given a lot of input. PM if you need a dealer connection.

The last generation of the XC70 is gorgeous, 3.2 or T6, XC90's V8.... Good Luck finding one, even past 200k km they are in the 15k range, bulletproof motor.

For a car that would ''sit'' a lot, I wouldn't look any further than Volvo.

if not... these are reliable as f*ck, no 55/63/65 bullsh*t. I'm dead serious, read up on them, plus in 5 years it'll be worth more. This thing is built like Fort Knox
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...wb/1220806903?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
diesel love
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...on/1284887133?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-ot...rm/1154048347?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
too bad is two door diesel love
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...re/1291335691?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'll get bashed for posting these as people will be like ''yeah mercedes reliable bla bla bla you're full of shit marek'' but read up on these generations of G Klass... Specially the pre97-98 MBUSA and you're brain will litteraly melt... and as I said, for your usage, for 4-5 years, you'll make money when getting rid of it.

G wagons are pretty baller but a bit overkill for my needs. I'm gonna test drive a 2015 XC70 this weekend and a 2014 4runner ! ill update when I'm done with my homeworks.

thanks for all the answers, the alltrack my be a new player if I can find a used one.

G wagons are pretty baller but a bit overkill for my needs. I'm gonna test drive a 2015 XC70 this weekend and a 2014 4runner ! ill update when I'm done with my homeworks.

thanks for all the answers, the alltrack my be a new player if I can find a used one.

With the TD motor it's the perfect car, + Zero electronics/wiring bs etc etc.

That's why I specified ''no 55/63/65 bs''

GLW your quest! Keep us updated, If you are West Coast, I do have contacts over there as well, unless your localisation means ''Belœil Coast'' ;)

Back