Ticket in NYS

sotam123

Hello everyone,

soo saldy I got my first ever ticket in the USA a couple days ago. I was on the 87 a couple hours away from the Border and I got caught going 80 in a 65.

The ticket only has a court date and a spot to plead guilty. I have a buddy that used to live there and he says that generally if you just show up they'll knock the ticket down?

Also since I was in my imported VW the cluster dosent have a MPH reading soo im hoping i could use that as a reason why I was just following the speed of traffic(everyone always flys there).

My question is has anyone ever gone in the USA to fight to ticket or try to get them to reduce the points or should I just get them to send me whatever the ticket is and pay it?

Hello everyone,

soo saldy I got my first ever ticket in the USA a couple days ago. I was on the 87 a couple hours away from the Border and I got caught going 80 in a 65.

The ticket only has a court date and a spot to plead guilty. I have a buddy that used to live there and he says that generally if you just show up they'll knock the ticket down?

Also since I was in my imported VW the cluster dosent have a MPH reading soo im hoping i could use that as a reason why I was just following the speed of traffic(everyone always flys there).

My question is has anyone ever gone in the USA to fight to ticket or try to get them to reduce the points or should I just get them to send me whatever the ticket is and pay it?

How much is the ticket? If it's worth fighting it's worth fighting - depends on how much...

there is no information on the ticket cost and the amount of points. I need to go to court or plead guilty to find out.....pretty dumb system but I guess it makes more people just pay.

Can you post what is written on your ticket, because last time i got a ticket in NY (schroon lake county) it wasn’t for speeding but for intentionally breaking the law. So I had to plead guilty than you receive the court judgement and the amount to pay.
In my case it would have been difficult to defend. for the same type of violation you made it cost me 265.00$ and it's a pita to pay

Here is what i got..as you can see in the square next to the red mark its for speeding 80 in a 65 mph zone

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
e132366efe1e29731a90c7c4552967ec.jpg

I checked online and the ticket ican be up to 300$usd +court fees and 4 points.......... kinda hurts. id rather just not have any points at all and keep my record clean since its been that way for the past 3years

I checked online and the ticket ican be up to 300$usd +court fees and 4 points.......... kinda hurts. id rather just not have any points at all and keep my record clean since its been that way for the past 3years

points are not decided by the us... it's decided by the saaq when they are advised by the us (if they do get advised)

I guess ill call my lawyer on monday and see what he says..

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

The only person that can tell you how much that ticket will be is the judge, it's the way it works in NY, the state trooper should of told you this when he pulled you over. It's either you plead guilty or not guilty and send it back, I would only fight it if I needed to keep my points... It will be annoying and costly

The only person that can tell you how much that ticket will be is the judge, it's the way it works in NY, the state trooper should of told you this when he pulled you over. It's either you plead guilty or not guilty and send it back, I would only fight it if I needed to keep my points... It will be annoying and costly

thanks for the advice..I think ill just pay it...because by the time I pay a lawyer or whatever it will still cost me more than the actual saving Id make on my drivers license premium if I didn't haven them.

im still gon send it next time im driving there...*byewhore*

thanks for the advice..I think ill just pay it...because by the time I pay a lawyer or whatever it will still cost me more than the actual saving Id make on my drivers license premium if I didn't haven them.

im still gon send it next time im driving there...*byewhore*

4 points is an awful lot for doing 80 in a 60, hich is 129 kph in a 100 zone. You would only get 2 points in the province of quebec for doing 130/100.
I don't know if the reciprocity law/treaty between NYS/Quebec work on the points you received state side, or by whatever they "advise" . There has to be some clarity on that.

PS I notice it says RADAR and not LIDAR or LASER. If it is doppler radar, you can easily win.

and like I said...thats what I read on the NYS ticket info which said "UP TO 300$" and "UP TO 4pts" either way I think im just gonna plead guilty and pay up. I have all my points in my liscense soo im not really worries...just the increased fee each year is gonna suck..

I got a ticket in the us on my bike last spring. I was at 100 in a 60. I was with 5-6 other bikes they all dropped a gear and disappeared. I was on a 500cc so I stopped. Cop was cool he dropped it to 85 in a 60. Cost me 380ish$us and no news from the saaq about that.

You can go to any saaq office and they will tell you your number of points. You don't want to be surprised if you get a ticket.

was browing my old posts looking for something and came across this one..

figured id give an update.

I pleaded guilty and in the description I said that my car was imported from Europe and that there was no MPH reading and that I was simply following the speed of traffic...never heard anything back, not tickets or points on my permit and Ive been in the usa numerous times after that and they didn't lock me up for an unpaid ticket..soo i guess im clear :)

was browing my old posts looking for something and came across this one..

figured id give an update.

I pleaded guilty and in the description I said that my car was imported from Europe and that there was no MPH reading and that I was simply following the speed of traffic...never heard anything back, not tickets or points on my permit and Ive been in the usa numerous times after that and they didn't lock me up for an unpaid ticket..soo i guess im clear :)

I had a similar experience driving through the city of Washington.

The GPS told us to keep left and take an onramp, which we did (I was driving) but that took us through their "express pay lanes" where you pay a fee but you have to be signed up for it with some kind of transceiver. The lanes were completely free of traffic, but the normal lanes were jam-packed with traffic. We basically breezed through what would've been at least a half-hour delay on our road trip.

At the end of the lanes before merging back, there was a booth and I stopped to explain what happened, the teller told us that they had a picture of the car and license and if they wanted to pursue it further we'd receive a letter.

We didn't get any letter. This was three years ago.

I had a similar experience driving through the city of Washington.

The GPS told us to keep left and take an onramp, which we did (I was driving) but that took us through their "express pay lanes" where you pay a fee but you have to be signed up for it with some kind of transceiver. The lanes were completely free of traffic, but the normal lanes were jam-packed with traffic. We basically breezed through what would've been at least a half-hour delay on our road trip.

At the end of the lanes before merging back, there was a booth and I stopped to explain what happened, the teller told us that they had a picture of the car and license and if they wanted to pursue it further we'd receive a letter.

We didn't get any letter. This was three years ago.
I passed a tollgate without a licence plate at all in New York City.

Told the guy I had no cash (only way to pay) and he's like no problem they will take the plate and send you the bill.

Then I remembered I had no plate on the car (in between seller and the DMV office)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back