“Stop payment” on a chèque, what to do?

-OG-

Administrator
Some old man rear ended a friend in another province while they were driving between provinces and the old man that rear ended them didn’t want to go through insurance and gave them a chèque for xxx$.

Friend cashed the chèque on their phone right away and now today 2 weeks later they got a letter in the mail saying the chèque was stopped payment.

What recourses are there against the old man? should my friend just claim on their insurance for hit and run? Call the cops? Go knock on the old mans door?

Anybody ever dealt with something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ton ami aurait du aller dans une place comme Insta chèque

maintenant il n'a qu'a caller le hit N run

Ouais c’est ça que CBC news disent sur internet. Que les places comme ça gagnent toujours les stop payment.

Il va essayer de contacter le monsieur demain

Les assurances c'est là pour ça.

C'est pas un hit and run parce que le gars s'est identifié. Ton ami est 0% responsable anyway faque qu'il call ses assurances, il aura pas de franchise à payer. Là, il paye des frais pour le chèque qu'il aurait jamais dû prendre au départ.

Cash only in that type of situation... it's like accepting a cheque when buying a car... that's a big no no.

Lol taking a cheque from a stranger....

Call the old man and tell him you're calling the police for fraud and the insurance company to make a claim.

Old man has nothing to gain here

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

If someone doesn't want to go through insurance and prefers writing a cheque of xxx$, that's usually a red flag to start off with...

If someone doesn't want to go through insurance and prefers writing a cheque of xxx$, that's usually a red flag to start off with...

I slightly damaged a car that was parked while backing up. (Guy was 50% in the driveway, 50% in the street) but anyways... I should have watched better anyways.
I went to the guy's house to let him know, and I asked him to get an estimate. (No way we're calling insurance for that) Estimate was finally 700$.
Drove down to Montreal to give him a cheque of that amount the next day.
Finally he fixed it without having to repaint. Just had to replace bumper cover because 1 clip had broken off. He called me back so i come grab my change back (200$ cash refunded)

The guy asked me... Why didn't you just took off ? I was like... And you, why did you offer to give me back my change ? ;-)

Red flag to get offered a check... i guess most of the time it is.
In my case I gave him all my insurance details and my IDs so he has a guarantee he can still get back in contact with me if ever I disappear.

I slightly damaged a car that was parked while backing up. (Guy was 50% in the driveway, 50% in the street) but anyways... I should have watched better anyways.
I went to the guy's house to let him know, and I asked him to get an estimate. (No way we're calling insurance for that) Estimate was finally 700$.
Finally he fixed it without having to repaint. Just had to replace bumper cover because 1 clip had broken off. He called me back so i come grab my change back (200$ cash refunded)

The guy asked me... Why didn't you just took off ? I was like... And you, why did you offer to give me back my change ? ;-)

In my case I gave him all my insurance details and my IDs so he has a guarantee he can still get back in contact with me if ever I disappear.

This world need more people like you two

I'm pretty sure I saw you backing into my truck 2 weeks ago, I got an estimate of a body shop and it would cost 1500$ to fix.

You can pm me for my PayPal.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

call a lawyer. you'll get your money back at the end
Not really, the losing party rarely has to reimburse you the legal fees. Better call the insurance and they will laywer up at their expense if they need to (very unlikely for such a small amount)

Not really, the losing party rarely has to reimburse you the legal fees. Better call the insurance and they will laywer up at their expense if they need to (very unlikely for such a small amount)

He won’t call insurance, most likely will call the old man and tell him if he doesn’t send XXXX$ or whatever by this day the RCMP will be knocking on his door or whatever

He won’t call insurance, most likely will call the old man and tell him if he doesn’t send XXXX$ or whatever by this day the RCMP will be knocking on his door or whatever

Cops won't do a thing.

Cops won't do a thing.

So when my buddy drives back out west his best bet is to stop at the address on the chèque and do what?

C’est plate un peu comme situation. Y’a les assurances oui mais ça risque pas d’être un paquet de troubles si le monsieur lui a déjà cancelled un chèque comme ça? “Oh no I never hit the back of this guys car blabla bla”

So when my buddy drives back out west his best bet is to stop at the address on the chèque and do what?

C’est plate un peu comme situation. Y’a les assurances oui mais ça risque pas d’être un paquet de troubles si le monsieur lui a déjà cancelled un chèque comme ça? “Oh no I never hit the back of this guys car blabla bla”

quand ton chum depose le cheque les banques gardent une image. Pourquoi le vieux donnerait un cheque si ya 'never hit the back of this guys car bla bla bla'

Can he call the old man (or email for proofs) and ask him why he cancelled the check? He should ask the old man if he ever plans to pay. If the answer is no, then he can consider other options like calling the insurance or forcing payment.

I don't know if dealing a l'amiable without the insurer is legal or not. If it's legit, there is a contract between the parties and your friend can send a lettre d'avocat, etc. If that kind of deal isn't legit, then call the insurance and that's it, or suck it up.

I hope that besides a cheque your friend and the guy filled out a amical report where they both admit being in an accident? Hope for him also that the address on the cheque is still valid. Your friend should of certified the cheque through a branch of the guys bank as soon as he left the accident.

I hope that besides a cheque your friend and the guy filled out a amical report where they both admit being in an accident? Hope for him also that the address on the cheque is still valid. Your friend should of certified the cheque through a branch of the guys bank as soon as he left the accident.

Apparently he was too pissed at the old man and didn’t.

Turns out the address on the chèque is a P.O. box too.

Pretty sure he found every single bit of information about the man online through kijiji ads lol.

What happens in a case where there is no handwritten amiable documentation?

Apparently he was too pissed at the old man and didn’t.

Turns out the address on the chèque is a P.O. box too.

Pretty sure he found every single bit of information about the man online through kijiji ads lol.

What happens in a case where there is no handwritten amiable documentation?

If there is no proof that the old man was there, there is not much to do! your friend just learned something new, never thrust a stranger... Constat a l'amiable or police repport.

Back