Rental Vehicle Insurance

android25ua

I have previously rented a car in Italy, where I selected the no-deductible extra insurance with the broker company (online)
Upon vehicle pick-up I was strongly urged by the service rep to take their insurance, as the insurance I had was with a broker, and not them directly.

This scenario is about to repeat, so I am wondering if I should take the broker insurance, or book the car with zero insurance, and add the insurance package with the service rep at the counter.

Anyone with experience on this? What's the difference? What do you recommend? Thanks.

Credit card insurance for free, but you still need to buy coverage for third party liability.

You can book at autoeurope and select full insurance. It will be with the rental company directly and not a 3rd party. Some rental companies don't even accept 3rd party stuff bought on Expedia etc.

I just wave the extra insurance offered at the counter and use my CC coverage unless it's offered at a stupid cheap price. Just be sure to read your terms and conditions on the CC policy.

1. Make it's it's valid for use in the country you are visiting. For example not all polices cover Rep of Ireland or Eastern Europe
2. Make sure it covers the class of car. Most CCs will have a max $ amount in Canadian $$$..
3. Be prepared to possibly have a hold of up to 5000euros on the CC if you wave insurance
4. Bring a copy of the terms just incase...

If you want to purchase something at the counter don't be shy and negotiate the rate..

Also before leaving check the actual physical key lock on the door. Make sure it's there. The scam going around is "drilled lock" that will be 300euros in damage

In the event of damage.. rental car companies have preset pricing for stuff like mirrors, tires, dents etc. You will get billed right away upon return and then you will need to file a claim with your CC insurance. Minor stuff gets paid out pretty quick. An actual accident or write off is much more complex... My step sister wrote off a BMW in the UK, see above for making sure CC covers the value of the car...

Renting a car isn't hard. Don't be that guy a the counter holding up the line for 20 mins.

Last edited:
Credit card insurance for free, but you still need to buy coverage for third party liability.
Not sure where you rent from but third party liability insurance is pretty standard already in the price of the car. In the EU the liability insurance is attached to the car. Not driver

Not sure where you rent from but third party liability insurance is pretty standard already in the price of the car. In the EU the liability insurance is attached to the car. Not driver

En Colombie cette hiver dans un centre avis ça été tout un affaire avoir juste l'assurance de base,on a du lui expliquer à plusieurs reprises, je pense que le gars voulait juste nous surchargé mais bon... Il m'as aussi offert une versa automatique avec ac pour 10$ de plus par jour, j'ai refusé parce que j'avais hâte de rouler en Renault logan manuel et finalement il m'a donné la versa au même prix car il avait plus de logan...

Dans un autre centre de location on a loué un pick-up 4x4 et pas de problème pour les assurances avec la CC...

Je ne dis pas le contraire, mais il faut vérifier selon le pays visé, il n'y a pas de règle mondiale là dessus.

I normally use the my amex card. It hold up to 75K$ insurance on the rental if you pay with it, and has no fees. If rates would be reasonable, I'd get the ones from the rental company but they aren't. Check what greg said for the coverage of the CC. That being said, I never was in a situation to make a claim so I don't know if it's a pain to go trough the CC insurance process.

Third party would be included in most countries. It's mandatory by law for the rental company.

take a new cc with rental car insurence on it, you will save big.

In france, Sixt was billing me 400 euro for full coverage. With the CC it was free. But i remember calling the CC company to ask and you have to refuse something at the desk. They told me to explicitely refuse something or else I would not be covered. can't remember what. And also take liability with them witch is cheap.

Even if your current CC doesn't have it, upgrade for one that have it. Even with 150$ anual fee, it will still be cheaper.

I normally use the my amex card. It hold up to 75K$ insurance on the rental if you pay with it, and has no fees. If rates would be reasonable, I'd get the ones from the rental company but they aren't. Check what greg said for the coverage of the CC. That being said, I never was in a situation to make a claim so I don't know if it's a pain to go trough the CC insurance process.

Third party would be included in most countries. It's mandatory by law for the rental company.
Rental car companies are big enough they can and do self insure. Think how much money they make off of it.. they don't make anything from renting you a Skoda at for 7 days at 100€...

That Amex the annual fee is pretty high

take a new cc with rental car insurence on it, you will save big.

In france, Sixt was billing me 400 euro for full coverage. With the CC it was free. But i remember calling the CC company to ask and you have to refuse something at the desk. They told me to explicitely refuse something or else I would not be covered. can't remember what. And also take liability with them witch is cheap.

Even if your current CC doesn't have it, upgrade for one that have it. Even with 150$ anual fee, it will still be cheaper.
Its just you refuse all insurance and assume responsibility for the car but if the amount of the car exceeds value covered by the card you will need to purchase a supplement and provide two cards.

They will also note card type. Its at the point where if you refuse insurance they can tell which card you have based on the BINCODE. They usually don't, if the hold amount passes they don't give a crap. I rent enough and never had them second guess a card

I posted here that I had an incident with a rental card and how it was handled by visa. Minor to moderate damage are preset amounts plus service charge.

I normally get full loss damage waiver insurance. Might be a waste of money but for me the peace of mind is worth it.

Its just you refuse all insurance and assume responsibility for the car but if the amount of the car exceeds value covered by the card you will need to purchase a supplement and provide two cards.

They will also note card type. Its at the point where if you refuse insurance they can tell which card you have based on the BINCODE. They usually don't, if the hold amount passes they don't give a crap. I rent enough and never had them second guess a card

I posted here that I had an incident with a rental card and how it was handled by visa. Minor to moderate damage are preset amounts plus service charge.

TD is 65 000$ CAD max car value. So almost any normal car.

Mon assurance full sur mon auto ici couvre la location...au US en tk.. aucune idée pour ailleurs.....si c'Est pas le cas j'irais avec ma CC.

Mon assurance full sur mon auto ici couvre la location...au US en tk.. aucune idée pour ailleurs.....si c'Est pas le cas j'irais avec ma CC.
Selon un site web américain la réciprocité est juste USA-Canada, donc à vérifier si tu vas ailleurs.

Et pour une cc gratuite, cibc visa aventura or a souvent une promotion un an gratuit +15k points, je l'ai prise il y a 3 ans et de nouveau le mois dernier. Entre temps après un an tu transfères tes points à aventura normale, gratuite et assurances location incluses pareil de mémoire.

Back