Any classic evaluators on board?

PsychoBandito

I've got a 1949 Matchless G80, that was given to me by my uncle.

Long story short, the registration is the motor number and not the frame. This is because the motor is :49G80SXXXX, while the frame is just 5 digits, and the lady at the SAAQ head office said it would be impossible. This has made finding an evaluator a nightmare. All I need is a tax paper so I can register it in my name before starting to work on it

Thanks to anyone who can help.

there are threads on this. Go to any bike shop and ask them to write you an evaluation often it will be the amount you ask them to write. Costs anywhere from zero to $40.
Bring to SAAQ pay taxes and be on your way,
for the registration papers, if there is no valid SAAQ paper in hand, you need the frame number properly written on said evaluation and the lady will create a new registration paper. If it is in the system already- even easier. Have the weight of the bike on hand- they will need it when creating a new paper.

I went through this process when registering my 1979 GS1000S that has a 6 digit serial number- from Ontario and SAAQ doesn't have it in the system.

Personally I like the SAAQ office on Marcel Laurin- they are real human beings and want to help.

there are threads on this. Go to any bike shop and ask them to write you an evaluation often it will be the amount you ask them to write. Costs anywhere from zero to $40.
Bring to SAAQ pay taxes and be on your way,
for the registration papers, if there is no valid SAAQ paper in hand, you need the frame number properly written on said evaluation and the lady will create a new registration paper. If it is in the system already- even easier. Have the weight of the bike on hand- they will need it when creating a new paper.

I went through this process when registering my 1979 GS1000S that has a 6 digit serial number- from Ontario and SAAQ doesn't have it in the system.

Personally I like the SAAQ office on Marcel Laurin- they are real human beings and want to help.

I've done old bikes no problem, the issue was just the numbers.

Did you not need to get a "formule 148" or whatever it is from the police?

I don't understand how the lady behind the counter could say straight forward the VIN combination is wrong; every pre-80's car had non standardized VIN's and they don't necessarily have a 17-digit combination. A VIN from a 1940's car could have only 5 digits. Mine has only 10.

Any insurers are open to non standard VINs? I want to reinsure the FZR250 and my two usual insurers won't do it because it's not a 17 digit VIN.

I don't understand how the lady behind the counter could say straight forward the VIN combination is wrong; every pre-80's car had non standardized VIN's and they don't necessarily have a 17-digit combination. A VIN from a 1940's car could have only 5 digits. Mine has only 10.

This was in 1971. I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the police, because if they inspect it, the motor will come up as registered.

I've done old bikes no problem, the issue was just the numbers.

Did you not need to get a "formule 148" or whatever it is from the police?

Nope, did not need that. She just needed a registration from Ontario or Quebec in conjunction with the evaluation - matching numbers and poof- she created my bike in the system.

Any insurers are open to non standard VINs? I want to reinsure the FZR250 and my two usual insurers won't do it because it's not a 17 digit VIN.

desjardins does my bikes. I hate "Desjardins" for many reasons but they are bike friendly

Ca aucun rapport... un VIN c'est un VIN
Ça a rapport dans la mesure où la madame au téléphone ne peut pas faire "enter" dans la case vin tant qu'il n'y a pas 17 chiffres.

desjardins does my bikes. I hate "Desjardins" for many reasons but they are bike friendly

Thanks I'll give them a call. I think my previous insurer entered it as a snowmobile in the system lol, but the broker I had is retired now and they merged.

Ça a rapport dans la mesure où la madame au téléphone ne peut pas faire "enter" dans la case vin tant qu'il n'y a pas 17 chiffres.

Si a fait enter pis que ca sort rien, elle va puncher les informations manuellement c'est toute.... pas depuis hier que j'fais assurer des vieux VIN. Toi qui connait tant ca... t'as aussi vendu des assurances, c'est ca?

Si a fait enter pis que ca sort rien, elle va puncher les informations manuellement c'est toute.... pas depuis hier que j'fais assurer des vieux VIN. Toi qui connait tant ca... t'as aussi vendu des assurances, c'est ca?
Selon elle, même manuellement il faut 17 chiffres pour que le système permette de traiter la demande. En tout cas, c'est ce que deux agents m'ont dit, avec LEUR système informatique et la paresse propre à l'agent à qui j'ai parlé. Je dis pas que c'est impossible je sais que ça se fait.

Je ne vois même pas pourquoi tu t'obstines, je fais juste relater min expérience avec 1-2 agents de 1-2 compagnies.

Back