Help... Need advice contesting a STOP sign ticket.

stanto

Hello!

(pour mes amis francophones, mes excuses mais je m'exprime mieux en anglais et il faut que je puisse donner tous les détails importants.)

I got a stop sign ticket the other day.
I don't care that much about the fine but I'd rather not loose the dimerit points.

I did stop but significantly (3 meters ??) before the stop line.
I couldn't find anywhere online the max distance behind the line that it would still be considered as a valid full stop.
After the stop, i turned right and the cop was on that (cross) street but on my left side. He was parked significantly behind the intersection.
Because of that fact, and due to bushes on the corner of the intersection, he could (probably) see the stop "line" but not much behind it.
I took pictures, but obviously I can't prove where the cop was parked and hence that his point of view was distracted and couldn't see further behind my stop line.

The graphic can help explain the situation much better....

https://ibb.co/G2sCSN3stop.jpg

My questions are:

1. Where can i find the max distance allowed behind the stop line to be considered a full stop?
2. I've read on the forum about negotiating with the prosecutor and maybe reducing the fine+points but that can fit on speeding tickets by applying a lower amount of "going over". In my case it's a stop. I can't think of how to "lower" the fine+points. Do I have a chance of maybe paying the full fine but not getting the demerit points?
3. Is it worth going to court? Even with the pictures that I took I can't prove where the cop was parked and hence how much his field of view was affected.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I have full points right now, so this is not about risking my license (knock on wood).

did you notice my question marks? I'm not sure. I didn't quite take a measuring tape!
3 meters is less than the length of a car.

I've never heard of that. You need to stop BEFORE the line - but not 3 meters....

Le but du stop, c'est de s'arrêter et de regarder de chaque bord de l'intersection pour voir ce qui se passe.

Si le policier ne pouvait pas voir que tu t'étais arrêté, tu ne pouvais pas voir ce qui se passait dans la rue transversale non plus.

Bonne chance dans ta contestation.

contact chaosexpanding

likely can get something worked out, depending on what you told the police and got into your "proof"

Le but du stop, c'est de s'arrêter et de regarder de chaque bord de l'intersection pour voir ce qui se passe.

Si le policier ne pouvait pas voir que tu t'étais arrêté, tu ne pouvais pas voir ce qui se passait dans la rue transversale non plus.

Bonne chance dans ta contestation.

En même temps, il tournait à droite dans la voie de son côté... à moins qu'un char s'en vienne dans la mauvaise voie en direction opposé, y'avait pas tant besoin de voir plus loin théoriquement.

C'est poche comme situation.

Je n'ai pas chercher l'article de loi mais il me semble qu'on ma appris qu'un arrêt ça se fait à la ligne ou sans ligne c'est le stop qui devient la "ligne imaginaire". Ensuite, la distance a laquelle tu t'arrête c'est relatif mais si tu as arrêter 3M avant la ligne c'était tout sauf un stop sécuritaire. (à moins que ce soir un stop dans le milieux d'un champ donc vue dégagé pour tout voir même à 3M de la ligne.

Je n'ai pas chercher l'article de loi mais il me semble qu'on ma appris qu'un arrêt ça se fait à la ligne ou sans ligne c'est le stop qui devient la "ligne imaginaire". Ensuite, la distance a laquelle tu t'arrête c'est relatif mais si tu as arrêter 3M avant la ligne c'était tout sauf un stop sécuritaire. (à moins que ce soir un stop dans le milieux d'un champ donc vue dégagé pour tout voir même à 3M de la ligne.

Il me semble aussi que le texte dit bien qu'on doit s'immobiliser à la ligne d'arrêt au sol (quand il y en a une). Il y a probablement une marge de tolérance d'un pied ou deux mais je vois mal comment faire croire qu'une distance de 10 pieds fait partie de la marge d'erreur raisonnable.

exact! ...
Dans la rue transversale il y a un STOP aussi tout les deux sont 2 voies. Donc en théorie, j'aurais pas besoin de voir bcp plus loin.
Le policier était situe en face mais bcp plus en arriere de son stop. (voir le schema)

Saviez-vous au moins c'est combien les frais du cour??
J'ai pas de problème de poursuivre la contestation même si j'ai (presque) pas de chance, mais c'est combien les frais?
La cour municipale ne réponds pas au téléphone... ça fait déjà 2 jours que j'essaie...

1. I don’t know

2. For negotiation on an improper stop 1 police officer has to sign the ticket not 2
And the prosecutor has to agree to change it to a 310 csr

3. Only you can decide whether going to court is worth the cost . If you need to save the points hire a proper lawyer like chaosexapnding ( the moderator) If you can lose the court reservation fee I usually find that pleading not guilty, asking for proofs before trial , and haggling with prosecutor works. I find that MTL prosecutors are more reasonable vs DPCP in palais du justice
They are rough

quand tu lie des jugements il semble y avoir un consensus que la distance approprier est de 0 a 1 metre avant la ligne

il y a aussi certains qui disent que tu peu arreter a la bonne place afin de voir l'axe transversal et pouvoir repartir ... que tu n'as pas l'obligation d,arreter a la ligne , ensuite au stop si il ne sont pas alignee et ensuite arreter au coin de la rue pour voir si tu peu y allez et ensuite partir

tu va sur canlii.org C24.2 et tu click sur la bulle a droite document citant

Not advice but the two things that came up in the few not guilty verdicts I witnessed waiting for my tickets to be heard:

1) I saw the cop/knew he was there so I made my stop.
2) I know I made a full stop because I felt that little jolt (inertia) when you come to a full stop, as soon as I felt that I took off immediately.

What they argued is that if I saw the cop, why would I want a ticket but at the same time past my legal obligation of coming to a complete stop I didn't feel the need to embellish it by staying there for 2-3 seconds. The cherry on top for one defense was that the view was possible but very limited.

By saying the cop couldn't see you at all is an insult to intelligence because why would they set themselves up.... Unless you can prove it was a really good vantage point for another direction, that they didn't intend to go for you direction and that they were opportunistic.

Back