what to get? (ninja 400/650/1000)

D_Accord

Legacy Member
So I'm in a mood to change bikes for a little sport touring (been riding a cruiser for a couple of years)

Reading online and talking to friends it's very divided. Some say the 400 is way too under powered but some say it's the most fun bike I'll have as I can wring through every single gear.
Some say the 1000 has power that cannot be really tapped into so it's a waste of money etc...
I don't race, I usually just go for a ride here and there, mostly country roads as I hate the highway. I also don't have tons of experience (3-4 years now)

What do you guys think? any personal experience with one of those above?

So I'm in a mood to change bikes for a little sport touring (been riding a cruiser for a couple of years)

Reading online and talking to friends it's very divided. Some say the 400 is way too under powered but some say it's the most fun bike I'll have as I can wring through every single gear.
Some say the 1000 has power that cannot be really tapped into so it's a waste of money etc...
I don't race, I usually just go for a ride here and there, mostly country roads as I hate the highway. I also don't have tons of experience (3-4 years now)

What do you guys think? any personal experience with one of those above?

Funnier and safer to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Never ridden a ninja, just talking by experience...

Would personally test ride both the 400 and 650...

Funnier and safer to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow... Exactly.

650 only if you ride with a passenger often. (the 400 will do it too but...)

other then that...plate cost alone : would direct me toward the 400.

the 400 has PLENTY of power lol those that say that it doesn't are just plain wrong and have never driver a smaller bike... I've raced in 1000's and 600's and I have driven everything from a cb125f to a gsx-r1000, you can have a passenger on a freackin moped... so no, you won't even feel that person in the back lol it's plenty powerful. I personally had a ninja 300 and just to compare, it's about as fast as a modern BMW, 0-100 in a little less than 6 seconds, quarter in 14, you get the jist.

the thing you need to consider with smaller displacement engines is they usually come with much thinner tires, which makes it a bit more sketchy in windy conditions. THAT'S IT!

You'll feel less in control when it gets REALLY windy but as for the rest, fun fun fun! Also consider the cost for plates, you save a little more still with 400 and less bikes.

The newer 400 is filled with very interesting equipment, I'd take that 100x sooner than older 650's!

Salut

J'ai eu un Kawasaki ER650n 2013 que j'ai gardé pendant 4 saison et vendu ma blonde, j'ai vraiment eu du fun avec cette moto la car je la (contrôlais a 100%) tu as en masse de pouvoir et tu va très bien la contrôlé en virage et ré accélérations.
Et ajoute lui un muffler Akra tu va tripper sur le son.

Ensuite quand j'ai vendu je me suis acheté Suzuki GSX1000S que j'adore mais sérieux trop puissant!! et mon gros problème et je l'avoue je ne la contrôle pas a 100% car tu as beaucoup trop de force avec ca :p donc je suis moins a l'aise avec en ré accélération sorti de virage ou autre.
Mais j'ai du fun quand même car ces puissant et tu peux prendre contre n'importe laquelle des voitures exotique et leur dire bye bye.

Especially in the Kawasaki line-up, I think you will get more fun and character out of the 400Ninja compared to the super vanilla 650 engine that is used in everything from neo-cruisers, adventur'ish bikes to sport tourer...

Dropping two gears and nailing it is where the fun starts and if doing that puts you in GEV territory instantaneously, I personally have no fun what so ever. Never under estimate the pleasure of winding the revs on a smaller displacement engine, generously and without constrains. You will also become a better rider faster.

Quoi ta grandeur?
Car le rc390 de ktm est pas mal mais c'est plus petit que le ninja 400

Wow so most of you are actually suggesting the smaller engine 300/400cc, how interesting.
People have complained about the vibrations in the smaller engines so that's something I'll need to check out as well.

Quoi ta grandeur?
Car le rc390 de ktm est pas mal mais c'est plus petit que le ninja 400

6' 175lb. J'aime mieux rester avec les Japonais pour le moment :)

J'ai un 650, c'est "correct".

Si tu penses faire de la longue route, peut-être un 1000 ... Pas tant pour la puissance, mais ça vivre moins, un peu plus confo...

Moi j'aimerais un double usage. Peut-être d'ici 3-4 ans. Je vais ramasser mon argent.

J'aime beaucoup ma Honda 599. Elle va super bien et il y a en masse de puissance. (~96hp)

Mais elle a maintenant 15 ans et j'aimerais avoir des caractéristiques modernes comme l'injection et freins ABS.

On va voir ce que le future me réserve. :D

Last edited:
La 650 traîne derrière la compétition alors que la ninja 400 est au top des petites cylindrées, vu le caractère plus maniable et le prix des plaques j'irais avec la 400, pour un mid size je regarderais autre chose.

La seule chose si tu fais des balades assez longues c'est le confort qui peut manquer sur la 400.

J'ai un 650, c'est "correct".

Si tu penses faire de la longue route, peut-être un 1000 ... Pas tant pour la puissance, mais ça vivre moins, un peu plus confo...

Ou un 600-800 4 cylindres. Je faisais 400km par semaine avec ma fz6 pour un stage d'été et avec des bouchons (surtout pour le vent) c'était ben relax.

La 650 traîne derrière la compétition alors que la ninja 400 est au top des petites cylindrées, vu le caractère plus maniable et le prix des plaques j'irais avec la 400, pour un mid size je regarderais autre chose. La seule chose si tu fais des balades assez longues c'est le confort qui peut manquer sur la 400.
Ou un 600-800 4 cylindres. Je faisais 400km par semaine avec ma fz6 pour un stage d'été et avec des bouchons (surtout pour le vent) c'était ben relax.

621EFD54-2F3A-4FD6-940C-FEBD55878172.jpg

yes! the other one I really wanted to try is the Honda CBR650R.. it's a gorgeous bike, sounds beautiful and it's a 4 cylinder that's not considering high risk so $700/year... but damn those are like $10,000 and there are no used ones....

I'm still deciding but I see most guys here like the 400cc... I'm really surprised.

J’ai eu un Tl1000r et deux z1000, selon moi la cylindrée n’a aucune importance, il faut simplement que tu te sente bien quand tu est assis dessus!

Ceux qui disent que 1000 c’est trop gros pour un débutant n’ont pas de tête sur les épaules!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

https://cdn.dealerspike.com/imglib/...2/1E/621EFD54-2F3A-4FD6-940C-FEBD55878172.jpg

yes! the other one I really wanted to try is the Honda CBR650R.. it's a gorgeous bike, sounds beautiful and it's a 4 cylinder that's not considering high risk so $700/year... but damn those are like $10,000 and there are no used ones....

I'm still deciding but I see most guys here like the 400cc... I'm really surprised.

CB650R is pushing 90HP on top of the powerband on 650CC which is plenty of bike for the power to weight ratio. Very cool naked, yes, more expensive & a more premium product than FZ's RN's and SV's.
400's are pretty cool but depends on your height, weight, and what kind of riding you plan on doing. If you just want to do urban crawling and dick around I'd go for a 400, even cross-shop ktm's or husky's.
I'd skip the 600 in the kawi line-up and jump straight to the 900 which has a well rounded I4. Tame and good low-end torque for city driving and super balanced for long highway rides and poppin powerwheelies. I think middleweights are just that, middleweights, most of the time, and always lack that little something, and that's just me, I drive a boring car but want more bike than I need.

CB650R is pushing 90HP on top of the powerband on 650CC which is plenty of bike for the power to weight ratio. Very cool naked, yes, more expensive & a more premium product than FZ's RN's and SV's.
400's are pretty cool but depends on your height, weight, and what kind of riding you plan on doing. If you just want to do urban crawling and dick around I'd go for a 400, even cross-shop ktm's or husky's.
I'd skip the 600 in the kawi line-up and jump straight to the 900 which has a well rounded I4. Tame and good low-end torque for city driving and super balanced for long highway rides and poppin powerwheelies. I think middleweights are just that, middleweights, most of the time, and always lack that little something, and that's just me, I drive a boring car but want more bike than I need.

Are you talking about super sports? man I cannot justify paying $2000 for a season..lol
The only inline 4s that are sport touring I think are the CBR650R and Ninja1000 (not naked ones like the gsxs1000, Z1000 etc)
I usually just quietly ride on a country road here on the south shore and if I see a stretch I give her the beans, no wheelies, no racing and sometimes rides with the boys for a few hours.

Are you talking about super sports? man I cannot justify paying $2000 for a season..lol
The only inline 4s that are sport touring I think are the CBR650R and Ninja1000 (not naked ones like the gsxs1000, Z1000 etc)
I usually just quietly ride on a country road here on the south shore and if I see a stretch I give her the beans, no wheelies, no racing and sometimes rides with the boys for a few hours.

I misread CBR650R for CB650R...

_Honda-CB650R-09.jpg

I wasn't talking about supersports or grosses plaques, or anything fully faired for that matter, sorry about that.

The bikes I was referring to were the Duke 390 / Svartpilen 401 which are in the same category as the Ninja400, and the ' i4 900 ' I'm referring to is the Kawa z900.

Back