News: 2012 BMW M3 will have V6 turbo

Dubweiser

Too depressed to post source, but true story.

It fucking better be a 60 degree config and not a chopped 90 degree V8 to save on tooling...

Whatever it is, BMW is homo...

According to InsideLine, BMW is developing a brand new V6 engine that will power the new M3 when it hits the market in 2014. The news comes somewhat as a surprise as BMW has never produced a V6 powered model in their long and illustrious history. The switch to a V-configuration will also represent the M3's first foray away from the high-revving naturally-aspirated units to the turbocharged arena - another major change in BMW's engineering principle over the past few years.
The engine in question was chosen against the more familiar inline-6 due to packaging and balancing issues. It will benefit from two twin-scroll turbochargers and will likely have a displacement of 3.0-liters with power output rated at 429hp (320kW/435PS) and 548Nm (405 lb-ft) of torque.

Here come the critics from MR and the car has not even been launched. It will outperform any previous gen M3 and no the E46 and E92 will not go up in value because too many were produced. The only E46 that will retain its value is the CSL which never sold in N.A. and the E92 GTS.

If you are all wondering, there is only one real M3 and that is the E30 M3.

^Well you can't really judge he is under 2500 rpm all of the time.

Yes I can.

You can't hide the sound of a 90 degree V6, it will always be a 90 degree V6.

unless you make the car quiet and make it sound better through the speakers (which is probably what BMW will do). They'll play the sound of an I6 or something through the speakers to make people feel better.

But 90 degree V6's will always inevitably sound like garbage. And it's a cheap solution to a proper 60 degree V6.

No respect in my book.

I would give my left nut away if ///M cars were still ONLY NA. v10 in the M5, a highwer revving i6 or v8 in the M3... It's what defined those cars... Wet dreams...

Yes I can.

You can't hide the sound of a 90 degree V6, it will always be a 90 degree V6.

unless you make the car quiet and make it sound better through the speakers (which is probably what BMW will do). They'll play the sound of an I6 or something through the speakers to make people feel better.

But 90 degree V6's will always inevitably sound like garbage. And it's a cheap solution to a proper 60 degree V6.

No respect in my book.

Why are they doing that? 90deg is cheaper to make than a 60deg?

I would give my left nut away if ///M cars were still ONLY NA. v10 in the M5, a highwer revving i6 or v8 in the M3... It's what defined those cars... Wet dreams...

Sign of the times and new emissions and environmental controls. By the way, the inline 6 was at the end of its performance with the E46. BMW could get no more juice out of that engine.

Back