I did my lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daso

Well guys, I dont know if you remember. But a while ago, I asked your opinion on smoked headlights for my MK4. Well I just finished them today, and might I say, it looks damn good. When you look at it directly from the front, it's kinda reminiscent of the mk1-2 round headlights look. I love it. And best thing, I didn't pay 600$ US for a kit, 12$ for black paint and silicone for headlights at canadian tire. In all it took about 4-5 hours, but I was taking my sweet time, and I wanted the silicon to set in properly, the paint to be nice and dry...

Here a pic of what it looks like. It's not my car, but it's the same thing. My car's also red. As soon as I get pics of my car with the new lights, I'll post them up...

lights.gif

Only thing that's left to do is to switch my bulbs for a xenon kit... when I get the cash..

I did them myself... it cost me 12$ at canadian tire.

Here's how I did it:
-Remove the front grill
-remove the bumper
-remove the headlights
-open up the headlights using a heat gun or a blow dryer
-take out the bulbs carefully and tape everything up.
-paint to your heart's content
-scrap away the old silicone
-put the new silicone and seal the light assembly
-put everything back together in opposite order of take appart
-stand back and admire!!

actually the order might be a little different, but you guys get the idea.

There are kits that are sold for my car, I've seen them on the net. Europeen smoked headlights going for about 600$US... a tad bit more expensive than what I did.

What sort of paint did you use to do this?
It must be somewhat heat resistant, I think these lights probably get pretty hot...

Very nice job bro, i'm doing the same thing but with the same color of my car. I hope it's gonna be nice like yours.

I used black engine paint. It was the cheapest one. If ever it starts to flake or come off, I'll just take my lights appart again and do them over with some other sort of paint. I didn't prep the area or anything, just when ahead and painted, it's just a test really. if it needs to be redone, I'll redo it.

If i need help i'm gonna call you, can i??? what's your phone #

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back