Fox 16v

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bottleofsmoke

I'm thinking about putting a 2.0 16v in a fox wagon. Has anyone done this before? I know there's a lot of fabricating to be done with the exhaust downpipe etc.. Is it worth while? Does any one have a decent 16v for sale?

Thanks

90 Jetta 2.0 motronic
84 GTI

i've seen it done before.
the exhaust wouldn't come out the opposite side and the exhaust manifold on the 16v is multidirectional since it exits into a flat dual outlet flange.
i couldn't tell you what size the flange is on the downpipe of the stock Fox but I know it would be easily modded to fit the 16v manifold. other than that I believe the fuel system would work fine since it is CIS-E but I if it has a knock sensor system, which I don't think it does, then you would need
the 16v knock box and not the 8v knock box. intake clearance might be an issue but as far as swaps go it doesn't seem like it would be easier than a MK1/Rabbit swap. i think the Fox trannies are pretty tough (I think they are based on the vanagon/bus tranny design). i have thought that the Fox
would be a cool car to euro also but always thought that it should of been rear wheel drive. of course, if that were the case, we'd see alot more of them on the strip and probably less on the street. if I remember right I believe the had the hump and everything there for adding rear wheel drive but I don't know what kind of setup you'd have to do to make it RWD only.

would be a sick conversion!

You'll need an Audi 4000 tranny(2wd version) cause the one in the fox will die. Ive also heard that sourcing an exhaust manifold isnt a problem. Apparently you can just use one of the headers from the old V8 Audi's, but dont quote me on that casue I dont know for sure.

Goodluck!:)

Yes, Mkigtit is right, you want to put an Audi 4000 2N transmission and I have read that the exhaust manifold on a V8 Audi does fit. I also read that just by adding the Audi 4000 tranny you can shave off 2 seconds on your 0-100km/h! This swap can be done as far as I know, I have seen a few pics on the net of 1.8L 16Vs. I have quite a bit of info on the Fox, I had one for 5 yrs and I did a lot of work on it myself. (my bro has the car now)
Check out this link:

www.lunaticfringe.org/vwfox/mod/

fox

its cool that you guys aren't all laughing at the fox and saying what a money pit it is.. that used to happen all the time when I had my fox

it is a very tossable car and lots of fun to drive, even with the 4 speed, lots of fun in corners and onl gravel or snow,

what about the gti head on the fox base would this be cheaper

Re: fox

Foxes are the BEST beaters, I don't care what anyone says, indestructible...my friend drove his without a clutch everyday for 2 months before the tranny fell to the ground....

Yeah that and the fact that they're pretty light would make a pretty fast beater. But, what about suspension upgrades, does aftermarket parts exist for the fox???

Yeah, theres a tech procedure in one of my old European Car mags on how to select and install the right aftermarket suspension system for your Fox. I think they used Boges with Eibach springs.

The 4 speed tranny is indestructable
The only problem with this car is the fact that the suspension is very soft. Every time you step on the gas the whole front end lifts. A suspension upgrade is a must

Id put the 5 speed in just to be safe if I was using the 16v....besides what good is a 4 speed with that engine anyways?:)

Im not saying that the 4 speed is a good idea to couple with the 16V. Just stating the fact that it's a good tranny.
This would be a sick swap if done though.

Indeed! Or better yet, how abou a rear engined AWD VR6 Turbo'd Fox Wagon?! Believe it or not, but Ive sen one of those compete in the Canadian Rally Championship! It was SICK!

this is what it looks like

FoxI16v-green.jpg

MK1GTI, are you sure about the VR6 in the fox station...
Cause I seen the libanese brother that had a fox station
They had a Audi engine quattro...they where flying...
They was beatting everyone even the Subaru!!!
That would be a sick project...
Is there some body kit for a Fox sation???
Would probaly be good even with a 2L 16V in it to!

Actually Id take a wagon over a regualr fox. If I had one id lower it to the ground, and de trimm EVERYTHING. Then Id paint it some wacky Euro color like bronze or metalic brown and drop an Audi 10vTurbo in it.

How come the engine is sideways? Is that the only way you could install it? Is that a long project if I do it?
Is anybody knows if it's hard to get a bodykit like this one???thankyou...

The Fox takes it's roots from Audi (their engines are also mounted this way). I think it's the only way you could install it, otherwise you would have to do serious mods. I heard the body kits are hard to find because they stopped making them.

Re: ...

So rainmann or any other tech on this board: Can your shop perform this swap or would it be too expensive??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back