2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i base CVT - Test

Je vois pas c'est quoi le big deal avec la transmission 5 vitesses. C'est mieux 6 oui, mais une bonne 5 vaut mieux qu'une mauvaise 6 (celle de la versa s par exemple). 6 vitesses ça sert surtout sur un petit moteur pas de torque (genre une moto), mais sur un 2 litres c'est pas si pire, tu peux avoir la 5ieme assez longue pour rouler à bas régime sur l'autoroute et les 4 autres assez rapprochées quand même pour des performances conenables, faut juste pas shifter à 2000rpm.

Je dirais pas que c'est vieillot mais c'est tres conservateur, plus genre VW que style ultra-moderne genre Elantra ou Focus.

Le coffre n'est pas aussi grand que dans l'Elantra ou Jetta mais c'est quand meme grand, bcp plus qu'avant, l'ergonomie est bcp mieux (les "barres" du coffre ont du casing en tapis, il n'y a plus de "bosse" a cause du AWD et c;est juste bcp plus soigneusement fini. Pour le fun je me rappele qu'a salon j;ai fait expres pour regarde cette aspect la, et c'est drole comment bcp de constructeur ignore le coffre. Le Focus as de loin le meilleur interieur dans les compactes mais quand t'arrive au coffre j;ai etait shocke (et chui pas shocke facilemenet) comme c'etait mal fait.

La focus hatchback est d'autant plus décevante que la Fiesta (sedan surtout) a un gros coffre et que la première focus hatchback était très habitable (coffre et espace pour les passagers).

Sinon les nouvelles focus et elentra ont des intérieurs contemporains, pas modernes.
Moderne, c'est plus épuré et construit comme style, plutôt comme ça
nissan-cube-cockpit.jpg

That's BS and you know it Gregster. I've been rolling in my cars for almost 5 years now. I have a fwd 100tq/109hp of furry and been going snowboarding with 3-4 friends lots of times, loaded with our gear and never had any issue...Unless you have poor driving skills, you wont have any problems getting there.

La fit manuelle est gearée beaucoup trop courte pour contrer le manque de torque, personnellement je trouve ça stupide de la part de Honda, si le monde savait downshifter elle aurait pu être 6-700rpm plus bas sur l'autoroute en 5ieme sans problèmes.

That's BS and you know it Gregster. I've been rolling in my cars for almost 5 years now. I have a fwd 100tq/109hp of furry and been going snowboarding with 3-4 friends lots of times, loaded with our gear and never had any issue...Unless you have poor driving skills, you wont have any problems getting there.

Maybe he has very fat friends...

The Impreza had Outback versions in its previous generations as well. I think it would be a nice addition to the market

Je vois pas c'est quoi le big deal avec la transmission 5 vitesses. C'est mieux 6 oui, mais une bonne 5 vaut mieux qu'une mauvaise 6 (celle de la versa s par exemple). 6 vitesses ça sert surtout sur un petit moteur pas de torque (genre une moto), mais sur un 2 litres c'est pas si pire, tu peux avoir la 5ieme assez longue pour rouler à bas régime sur l'autoroute et les 4 autres assez rapprochées quand même pour des performances conenables, faut juste pas shifter à 2000rpm.

La focus hatchback est d'autant plus décevante que la Fiesta (sedan surtout) a un gros coffre et que la première focus hatchback était très habitable (coffre et espace pour les passagers).

Sinon les nouvelles focus et elentra ont des intérieurs contemporains, pas modernes.
Moderne, c'est plus épuré et construit comme style, plutôt comme ça
nissan-cube-cockpit.jpg

La fit manuelle est gearée beaucoup trop courte pour contrer le manque de torque, personnellement je trouve ça stupide de la part de Honda, si le monde savait downshifter elle aurait pu être 6-700rpm plus bas sur l'autoroute en 5ieme sans problèmes.

This is definitely NOT modern. It's just horrific.

I'm obviously not talking in art lingo here. I'll say trendy instead of modern if it makes you feel better.

AWD + 200HP @ 20k...you're asking too much I think.

The new Acura ILX will get a SOHC 148HP engine so it's not that bad heh..

Why not? They already make a 200hp engine for the BRZ.. I'm sure extra cost would be minimal even an extra 1k-1500$ would be well worth the extra price for more power on tap. I'm glad after reading some replies that I'm not the only one thinking this.

Maybe he has very fat friends...

Perhaps or maybe I don't like to drive in 3rd gear at 4500 rpm? I like to put my foot down and the car moves. Sorry but while 100hp might work for you going up a hill after gaining momentum and extending the jib.. I don't like to plan ahead on how to gain speed or resort to setting sails.

These are my personal preferences... The biggest problem with the old Impreza's and the 2.5L is not power (175hp and nearly the same torque moves the car very well) but the lack of a 6th gear in the trans. Without the 6th the engine revs way too high on the highway drinking gas. The 6th could have been a true highway gear, right now 5th at 120 is around 3000rpm. A 6th could have dropped that to 2200-2300 rpm.

Why not? They already make a 200hp engine for the BRZ.. I'm sure extra cost would be minimal even an extra 1k-1500$ would be well worth the extra price for more power on tap. I'm glad after reading some replies that I'm not the only one thinking this.

Perhaps or maybe I don't like to drive in 3rd gear at 4500 rpm? I like to put my foot down and the car moves. Sorry but while 100hp might work for you going up a hill after gaining momentum I don't like to plan ahead on how to gain speed.

Buy an automatic then or a TDI.
148hp on a car that weight 1300kg is more than enough.

For me, the main problem with the car is the stability control that you apparently can't take off. If I buy a subaru I want to have fun with it.

Sorry man, I disagree.

My car has 90hp and 109lb-ft of torque, weighs 2200lbs. Just going to Bromont with 4 people and skis on the roof, I have to slam it into 3rd at 120kmh at WOT to get up some hills on highway 10, and the car usually slows down to about 100kmh when I get to the top.

It's not much different in a MK4 Golf with 115hp (weights 600lbs more)...

I'm obviously not talking in art lingo here. I'll say trendy instead of modern if it makes you feel better.

Thank you

The Impreza had Outback versions in its previous generations as well. I think it would be a nice addition to the market

C'était juste des cossins esthétiques.

Perhaps or maybe I don't like to drive in 3rd gear at 4500 rpm? I like to put my foot down and the car moves. Sorry but while 100hp might work for you going up a hill after gaining momentum and extending the jib.. I don't like to plan ahead on how to gain speed or resort to setting sails.

These are my personal preferences... The biggest problem with the old Impreza's and the 2.5L is not power (175hp and nearly the same torque moves the car very well) but the lack of a 6th gear in the trans. Without the 6th the engine revs way too high on the highway drinking gas. The 6th could have been a true highway gear, right now 5th at 120 is around 3000rpm. A 6th could have dropped that to 2200-2300 rpm.

My Civic 1.6l has 106hp and a long 5th gear for it's engine size (2400 or so at 100kph) and I made some road with 4 people and luggage without having to downshift all the time. And since it's a Civic, road and wind noise are more important than engine noise anyways.

140hp is fine for everyone who doesn't want a high performance car imo, and those who want one just have to get the wrx. Having an optionnal 200hp engine wouldn't be that expensive, but it stills requires some additionnal engineering and more assembly, which are most costs. Standardising things and having the least options possible is how you save costs. At least with one standard engine, we usually get more than enough power. In Europe you have to pay maybe 5000 euros more than the base model to get some power, even if the powerful engine must cost not even half as much to build.

And like 22re said, just buy a TDI if you want some torque without downshifting. VW had succes with the 1.9 tdi 100hp (while there were 140hp versions in Europe) because it gave a feeling of power, but in reality it was much slower than a Tercel.

Sorry man, I disagree.

My car has 90hp and 109lb-ft of torque, weighs 2200lbs. Just going to Bromont with 4 people and skis on the roof, I have to slam it into 3rd at 120kmh at WOT to get up some hills on highway 10, and the car usually slows down to about 100kmh when I get to the top.

It's not much different in a MK4 Golf with 115hp (weights 600lbs more)...

I drove on the highway to Sherbooke with 4 people this winter, going 120-130kph all the time (3000-3200rpm), I didn't have to downshift a single time. VW doesn't know how to make engines I guess. And with a vtec, it's even better.
However, my mom's fit (1.5l vtec, 117hp) feels less torquey than my Civic while it should be more because of the vtec. The 1.5l vvti in the yaris (105hp) is smoother at low rpms. And the only technique that Honda found to hide their bad engine is to make the engine rev at 3000rpm at 100kph (in top gear). The fit accelerates strong in 5th gear (more than our old camry 2.2l 5mt) but it's pointless, the Civic is more fuel efficient on the freeway, even my mr2 turbo is.

What you describe with the golf sounds like my Firefly 1.0 (55hp) or my ex civic 4wd (75 tired hp), more than a modern sub compact (under 2500lb) with 100hp. You should try a yaris or something like that.

Last edited:
Seriously, the yaris feels more powerfull than a BMW 323i or any entry level premium car imo. It's so light, the throttle by cable is so responsive. Nothing to say but vvt-i dans la panne. With a turbo or a supercharger, this car would be dangerously fast.

The Civic 4wd was ugly (or bland, at least) but ahead of it's time. I saw one yesterday on the highway (84-87, like mike) I almost jizzed. 84-87 seem to resist to rust better than 88-00 civics. The 88+ had real time 4wd (which 90% of modern suv have), 6 gears, dohc engine, reclinable and fold flat rear seats, big trunk, nice fit and finish, plenty of room for 4, and it drove like a civic should.

I can't believe it's legal to be as stupid as this moron (Broody) and be allowed to remain alive.

I have never driven a more gutless car than an EK d16. As for my Golf it is geared for fuel economy and the motor is built for low
End torque. Not exactly the perfect combo for climbing hills at speed with a loaded car. When you has 90hp on tap, you have to decide what to do with it. You either do what Honda does, make the car feel gutless all the time, or do what Vw does; which is make the car feel useless on the highway but suprisingly muscular in city and rural driving.

But of course, with all your experience delivering chicken in shitboxes, I guess you should be schooling me on cars, right?

And I won't be trying the Yaris or something, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Yaris, and I'm currently in the market for something that costs as much as many new Yarises combined.

The Civic d16 is gutless around town because all the gears are long (110kph in 2nd, 165 in 3rd). I tried a jetta 2.0 recently and I felt like the gears were way too short for the engine size/torque. For me, the civic d16 is smooth and enough to follow traffic at low rpms, and fun to push to the redline from time to time. And with a variable valve timing (like the yaris) you get more low end without loosing the top end.

I don't know how you golf is geared, but the civic ek (especially the hatchback) is really geared for fuel economy and I think it's fine, you just have to downshift for more power and like I said, on the highway 10 with passengers and luggages, I never have to downshift to hold my speed. And why is a car geared for fuel economy and with low end torque would have problems going uphill? It's the best for uphills actually. Low rev = 2800-3000rpm at 130kph, and low torque = plenty of torque around 3000rpm. So, 1+1=2, no?

And my experience delivering chickend is certainly more valuable than yours driving a Golf CL.

The Civic d16 is gutless around town because all the gears are long (110kph in 2nd, 165 in 3rd). I tried a jetta 2.0 recently and I felt like the gears were way too short for the engine size/torque. For me, the civic d16 is smooth and enough to follow traffic at low rpms, and fun to push to the redline from time to time. And with a variable valve timing (like the yaris) you get more low end without loosing the top end.

I don't know how you golf is geared, but the civic ek (especially the hatchback) is really geared for fuel economy and I think it's fine, you just have to downshift for more power and like I said, on the highway 10 with passengers and luggages, I never have to downshift to hold my speed. And why is a car geared for fuel economy and with low end torque would have problems going uphill? It's the best for uphills actually. Low rev = 2800-3000rpm at 130kph, and low torque = plenty of torque around 3000rpm. So, 1+1=2, no?

And my experience delivering chickend is certainly more valuable than yours driving a Golf CL.

Yep I guess years of working in the car industry driving hundreds of cars from stock, to highly modded, from all corners of the world, and from econoboxes to exotics means nothing.

Problem with you is you think the only good thing on the road are a few care bones Japanese cars, you are not a true driver,
or car enthusiast unless you can appreciate cars for what they are and their intended purpose.

I don't know, but I know that I can go uphill with my loaded Civic in 5th. If your torque monster VW can't, there is a problem.

I can appreciate cars from any brands, but those I tried from other brands (bmw, audi, vw, Porsche, Saab) were dissapointing. One of the best non japanese car I drove was the focus zx3 (ztec), there is decent and linear power from 2-3000rpm to the 7000rpm redline, the suspension is well tuned and the direction fairly sharp for it's time. But the Civic or yarises from work are more fun to throw into the corners.
And on a 15 000$ civic (when new), which won't cost me much in gas and maintenance, I can forgive some things that I won't forgive on a 20k$ + golf (more expensive in gas and maintenance in addition).

I don't know, but I know that I can go uphill with my loaded Civic in 5th. If your torque monster VW can't, there is a problem.

If I'm doing 130kmh I can hold 130kmh going uphill on the 10.

If I'm doing 120kmh it just decelerates.

It's just a gearing issue.

It doesn't make a car a POS because its not Perfectly adapted to that particular situation.

However my point was its less common to encounter such situations with more power. More power automatically equals more comfort. That was the point. Not all of us want to pretend to be Schumacker every single second on public roads.

Then if it decelerates, just downshift in 4th, you don't have to downshift in 3rd at WOT like you said. But wether I drive at 100 or 140, I can stay in 5th. What rpm are you at 100kph?

Even with a big engine, the top gear should be just enough to hold your speed on a flat or slightly inclined road, otherwise, it's too short and a waste of gas. So, wether you drive a Corvette or a firefly, you should have to downshift when going uphill. Only difference is that the corvette's top gear will make the engine revs half as much as the firefly's revs.

And if you don't want to downshift, just get a tdi, even with the tdi 1.9 100hp, you don't really have to downshift under any circumstances. I drove a Jetta tdi 90 once (1998 or 99), it was fine (better than the 2.slow) but not adapted to my needs (90% of city driving) and quite boring.

Back