Evan's AE86 build

Evan666

So I'm building up a 1985 Toyota Corolla SR5 Automatic AE86. The car only has like 78,000km and I'm the 3rd owner. I found the car in Trios Rivier and I picked it up for $1200.00.

So far I've done a suspension upgrade, I did a manual transmission conversion and kept the little 4ac just to drive it around. Drove it for a few years and Now I am finally getting down and dirty taring the car apart and upgrading it from head to toe. Here are some pics so far more to come soon! I have my engine conversion thread in the Muscle car section called "L67 RWD Conversion" which is all the detail about the motor being converted.

This thread is going to be about every other detail I am doing to the car such as suspension, differential, bodywork and all that. There will be pics of the engine placement and everything. So stay tuned!

http://s1135.beta.photobucket.com/user/AE86_XXX/library/

Well it had a blown head gasket and it was Automatic. The SR5 has a really really really shit 6.3" differential with drum brakes... So I had to do ALOT of parts locating to make this the beast I want it to be. I've seen plenty of AE86s going for anywhere under $3000.00. Its they just don't stay on the market for long because you know everyone loves them. Your putting a F20C in your ae86? keeping it N/A ? or you going to do what Patrick Cyr did and make a Turbo F20C ?

*New Photos Added to Photo Bucket*

Last edited:
Les diff 6.38'' de SR5 sont vraiment pas si shitty que ca... sont under-rated. J'ai un spool dans le mien et je roule avec un set-up d'environ 220 hp/200 lbs de torque... pis j'ai pas encore réeussi a passer au travers (pis j'suis pas doux avec et j'aime abuser des clutch-kicks!). Mais c'est évident qu'avec ton set-up 3.8 S/C, il durerait pas longtemps!

well maybe just my SR5 diff just needs a new pinion crush sleeve theres a shit load of play between the pinion and ring gear. I only had the 4ac 8v 60hp motor in it so i would never have broken that differential... BUT I am putting the 1981 Celica/Supra 7.5" differential because it has disk brakes and they are bigger then the GT-S disk brakes.

lol yeah 220hp/200trq is awesome power for this little car but the 3.8L SC stock is 240hp/280trq... but I have a 3.4" pully and headers + a chip so i'm going easily see over 300ft lbs trq once i put the engine in so the differential wouldn't have lasted that long like you said. Also i'm I don't know if you did the big brake conversion yet on your AE86 but i really felt the brakes are too damn small on this car even if it is a stock SR5. I'm getting the RX-7 4 piston callipers with the Mini S brakes. To me its either go big or go home so I must upgrade everything.

But yeah I heard the SR5 differentials alot of people put them in Caterams or other small kit cars or tube chassy cars. One thing i have to say is that its really damn light!

Well it had a blown head gasket and it was Automatic. The SR5 has a really really really shit 6.3" differential with drum brakes... So I had to do ALOT of parts locating to make this the beast I want it to be. I've seen plenty of AE86s going for anywhere under $3000.00. Its they just don't stay on the market for long because you know everyone loves them. Your putting a F20C in your ae86? keeping it N/A ? or you going to do what Patrick Cyr did and make a Turbo F20C ?

*New Photos Added to Photo Bucket*

My ae86 f20c is done. Its n/a and its a beastt. Keeping it n/a. It's a street car. We found out i have a 4.7 2 way lsd gts differential, so around 110km/h i'm at 5000 rpm , 6th gear, let me know if you want it. I'm looking for gts stock differential ...

Well I am putting a 7.5" differential out of a 1981 Toyota Celica/Supra and the gear is 3.77 and has a stock LSD. Im going to try to run it like that for now until i get it running and see my options for 1.5 way LSD and maybe i'll change the final drive ratio depending how i feel on the track and what it runs on the drag strip.

Back