Group B movie in 2015

I like group B cars, but unlike all, it seems, I don't worship them. These had awesome engines, for sure. But they also had shit chassis, shit brakes shit tyres and shit suspension.

And the drivetrain was nothing to write home about - a lot of these brutes had spools and locked center diffs...

The later group A cars (1994-1996) were so much better rounded and their engines were not that much less powerful either, just shy of 400hp which was about the average for Group B.

Remember that only Audi had the truly stupidly powerful cars (600hp during one Finnish rally was the maximum used in the WRC). The other had much less, around 450, maybe 500 on occasion, if that. That MG was a normally aspirated 2.5 or 3 liter engine, no way it had a zillion ponies on tap, especially with the crude ECM they had then.

It was only when these cars went to the Rallycross circuits that their power became ridiculous (700+), that was bacause they only had to do a few hundred kilometers between rebuilds. Somehow, people started transferring these figures back to when they rallied, which make for great articles and quotes, but little thruth...

Explain me this then? No handling, shit brakes? Ok, being a little conservative in the rough stuff. I would be too with a museum piece of art. You had to clutch each gears and heel-toe. Today, drop the clutch at start line and change gears on paddle shifters.

This car still kicks-ass in today standards! ;)

Funny how people dis these cars. People get hard on's when they see flames coming out of exhaust pipes of todays cars. most of the kids don't know that stock exhaust and exhaust valves don't like this! :rolleyes: The S1 was first with the Umluft system. Even Walter Röhrl invented left foot braking prior to the Umluft. Why? Keep boost on while braking with left foot and keeping gas pedal down. ;) Then once Audi came out with the Umluft system, Walter could concentrate on goin even faster! *tu*

I am sorry to say, but the S1 would STILL keep up with today's cars. Even with 30 year old technology. Röhrl even at 67 would put Ken Block to shame! :thefinger_red:

He wasn't making fun of the cars but rather being a realist.. simple as that. What was nice up until a few years ago is that the rules were somewhat open. Now the cars are sorta all spec racers with different sheet metal. The racing in the 90s and early 2000s was much better than the few years of Group B.

It also doesn't take much to shame Ken Block..

It also doesn't take much to shame Ken Block..

I think Ken really put the sport on the map for most people , rally/rallycross
Has he ever aimed for no1? Don't think so
Nways I am to young to have watch some group B action for me rally started with this beast
6993097582b331716d490d2b5e7ad4bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Amercians were used to F1 and cars going around in circles for 500 miles!!! LOL I've been following WRC since I was 12.

I think Ken really put the sport on the map for most people , rally/rallycross
Has he ever aimed for no1? Don't think so
Nways I am to young to have watch some group B action for me rally started with this beast
6993097582b331716d490d2b5e7ad4bd.jpg

And a proper beast this is! On the same stage in the same conditions, I'm certain this car is faster than a group B car.

And a proper beast this is! On the same stage in the same conditions, I'm certain this car is faster than a group B car.

Are you sure? That car doen't seem to have too much down force! ;) Also then hp was controlled by regulation. How can 300hp be faster then 600hp?:dunno:

Are you sure? That car doen't seem to have too much down force! ;) Also then hp was controlled by regulation. How can 300hp be faster then 600hp?:dunno:

The stage times of the group B cars were getting beaten by group A cars by 1993-1994. Since this is a 1997+ car, chances are it faster still...

HP, HP, HP.... This is so not drag racing! When traction is at a premium, more power is not the solution. Beside, as I said elsewhere, 600hp was not the norm even back then. Most cars had around 400-450 on tap, some even much less (hell Nissan only had a 2.4l car N/A running on carbs!).

The 300hp and Torque is available across a very wide power band. Group B cars delivered it in one massive lump.. Also the suspension and drive trains are light years ahead...

Basically it's like comparing an F1 car from the same era to a current 2015... While the turbo cars of that era produced much more HP they didn't have the suspension, tires and aero of today.

Mentioned Nissan Group B car..
240rs06b.jpg

Output was about 250hp.. Dual Solex carbs!

Moskvich even made a prototype the 2141-KR
moskvich-2141-kr-3.jpg

moskvich-2141-kr-1.jpg

Mercedes had planned an entry as well.. A privateer BMW M1 was entered in a few rallies and even managed to place well..

Personally I am a fan of the Rover 6R4 :D

Back