I need speakers but................

Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlin

Legacy Member
Hi guys. This post is adressed to the stereo connaisseurs:rolleyes: 99altima:rolleyes: seems like you have the right answers most of the time. I just picked up an empty band-pass box for 2 12 inch subs. The box had 2 MTX road thunder subs in it before. The question I have is should I keep my regular box ir use the band pass box??? I was told by a couple guys that band pass boxes are designed for a specific speaker (obviously) but the boxes are actually engineered around the speaker. What do you think? I'd also like to know if those speakers still exist? MTX roadThunders??? I didn't even bother looking. Pardon the ignorance just really bust getting the dragster ready for the weekend:D

Well, to start... a little info, pasted from http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

Bandpass Box

Advantages...
When properly designed and implemented, can provide superior LF extension and efficiency.
Cone motion is controlled more and therefore mechanical power handling is increased.
Cones are physically protected from contents of trunk flying around.
Output is easily channeled directly into the interior of sedans.

Disadvantages...

Difficult to build (not recommended for newbies), and very sensitive to misalignment due to calculation or construction errors.
Their characteristic filtering often masks any distortion that occurs as a result of amplifier clipping or overexcursion and thus will give the user no warning that the driver is over-stressed and about to fail.
Need substantial mid-bass reinforcement to make up for narrow bandwidths in efficient alignments.
Transient response is largely dependent upon the alignment chosen....wider bandwidths will result in sloppier performance, narrower bandwidths (and thus higher effiencies) result in better transient performance.
They can oft times be quite large.

And to answer the rest of your question, yes Road Thunder's are still made, but they are the bottom of the line of MTX. Not really recomended. From experience, a bandpass box will get really loud, but will not be suitable for most vehicules. It's made to play in a very narrow freq. range. They are difficult to build, and yes they are usually designed for specific subs! They do however allow for pleasing cosmetic looks, but unless it's been professionally built for your specific setup, I would advise against using them. Although there are multiple types of bandpass boxes, some of which may fit what your looking for, but yet again, must be built to the subs specs.

The best box to have IMO would have to be sealed, it offers the most variety of freqs, and is much easier to buy pre-fab, or to build yourself! Although it seriusly depends on what you want, loud, or quality. As stated in the paste above, a bandpass will require much midbass to make up for the missing freqs.

Good Luck!

First things first put your subs in a sealed box.Email me and we can chat about mtx

:beer: :goofy: :idea: :beer: :idea:

WOW altima! Thanks for the info!!. I'm still in lombo and haven't decided what to do. The thing that sucks is that I have both boxes here. (The regular in my trunk).......................just that like you said band pass looks really good:dunno: I'll sleep on it.

2ruff whasssssap? you rollin out to mc tonight? rasta?:rolleyes:

put the bandpass in you'll be happier it delivers a better sound deeper and cleaner in my opinion

Originally posted by 333
put the bandpass in you'll be happier it delivers a better sound deeper and cleaner in my opinion
Just for your info, as I said above, a bandpass will provide louder and lower bass. But only in a limited freq. range. You'll lose out on alot of sub bass which many component sets can't reproduce. Unless you go 3 way, and enclose the woofer, but even then, it will still be missing abit. In order to PROPERLY utilise a band pass you must have the cash, and know how to do so... that is unless your on looking for that boomy bass, in which case why spend the money on a bandpass box, when you can more simply have a ported enclosure built for cheaper. Although I still, and always will recommend sealed enclosure, for best SQ, and ease to build.

Oh yeah, and just a small question.... why are you pushing Focal and Memphis so much? Are you a rep? Or just some dude who went to a shop that had them? Because I know I can name ALOT of subs and comps that you've never heard of, that will easily compete with or even outperform both, for the same price. If you are a rep, well then I understand, otherwise, all I got to say is don't specify too much, let people make there own choices.

hahah 99 altima don't get offended my info just happens to come from someone who has been in the car audio field for over ten years that's why and no im not a rep. but from now on ill let the apparent audio guru do all the talking meaning you. peace . no more pushing ok by the way what kind of altima do you have

Originally posted by 333
hahah 99 altima don't get offended my info just happens to come from someone who has been in the car audio field for over ten years that's why and no im not a rep. but from now on ill let the apparent audio guru do all the talking meaning you. peace . no more pushing ok by the way what kind of altima do you have
I never said I was a guru, I just don't like directing people in a way that they may not like in the end. Which is why I provide pros and cons. This is too ultimately let the user make his own choice. I doesn't bother me what you tell people to do, but to me it seemed like you were pushing product a little too hard. I'm not saying they are bad products your supporting, but I just try and keep peoples minds open.

What I'm saying is, if you've tried a certain product or setup, tell people about it's pros and cons, don't just say 'buy it!' Anyways, srry if I came on hard, I wasn't meant to be.

Originally posted by 91civicdx
id recommend against mtx. from what ive seen and heard, its mostly loud and bad quality, along with overpriced.
"(it's about LOUD, not sound quality)."
thats straight off the mtx website
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/RFL.cfm
the bottom of the paragraph titled genius

goto addison, they have the good shit and for cheap too
Yes that is there SPL sub. Have you listened to the 8000 series? I'm guessing no, by the way you brought it up. Even the 6000 series is SQ based. They are not bad subs for the price either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back