My 95 Eclipse GS......

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said that its pretty good to run a GS in the 13sec. Its pretty nice and you guys should bring it for the DSM club race day at Napi Oct 12th

Also that for the same amount of $$$ he should of started on a Talon base and thats about it.

Nice car :)

Rough translation:

Nice to have a GS in the 13s and nice car, bring it to Napi on Oct 12 to DSM club trials.

I said that for the same amount of $ you could have bought a turbo Talon (and put eclipse bumper for looks) or turbo Eclipse and modify it to run in the 12s. In Canada though it is much better to buy and upgrade a Talon than an Eclipse (Eclipse weren't sold here see explanation on reliability below).

I also explained the difference (or lack therof) between Talon & Eclipse (1g 90-94, 2g 95-99 are know as DSM):
- Apart from cosmetic differences a Talon and an Eclipse are exactly the same car, assembled from the same parts in the same factory.
- 2g NT models (Eclipse or Talon) come with mostly Chrysler mechanic and 420A engine
- 2g T models (Eclipse or Talon) come with Mitsu mechanic and 4G63T engine
- 3g Eclipse are totally different from 1g and 2g cars, no turbo no AWD versions available and pretty much no fun.

I also explained (in answer to Acuraboy), that actually in Canada Eclipses are usually less reliable than Talons since they are very often VGAs imported from the States and reconstructed with used smashed or stolen Talon parts. Also in answer to him that it is false that the same belt drives accessories and camshafts ! and that after 100000km it is normal maintenance to replace the timing belt (as on most cars !) if it is not done of course the belt will eventually break and one gets smashed valves. As on all cars if the timing belt breaks the car doesn't run !

Also answering to blackrain saying DSM transmission go kaboom that it is false to say that they are weak. However since most DSM are now running at over 100000km, have way more than the original 210HP (Turbo model) and are usually abused by their driver dropping the clutch at high RPMs with the AWD transferring the impact to the transmission, it is very normal that after some time the transmission needs rebuilding.

Saying main reliability issues with DSMs are:
- abuse by owner
- lack of knowledge by mechanics/owner when making repairs (even Chrysler dealers are known to be clueless with DSM)
- crankwalk that can developp on some cars 4g63 equipped, mostly 2g, and if it happens the best solution is to swap the 7bolt engine for a 6bolt.

F
quebec.dsm.org

Last edited:
Lol.. Oui je sais.. je disais Kaboom justement a cause du haut milage et de la facon de conduire de 60% des DSM owners.. de plus faut-il mentionner que je crois bien que bcp de dsm owners conduise leurs char sur la track.. donc magane.. "un peu" leurs transmissions".. mais avec raison si on veut :)
Bref il est vrai qu'en usage normal j'ai parler bien trop vite disant "kaboom".. ;)
Si je m'y connais en DSM... et que c'est inscrit que j'ai une civic, c'est bien vrai.. mais mon.. ou plutot, ma prof DSM c'est ma blonde qui lit tout cqu'elle peut sur Club DSM et mle dicte ensuite avec tant de passion... ;)

HEY! i saw your car on the highway this summer a few times coming back to laval from Lasalle.. i thought it was a GS-T or a GSX cuz of your intercooler. Nice ride dude!

Need Info

Hey, I yould like to know if you know a good body shop and where they sell good eclipse/talon parts at a good price.

Re: Need Info

Originally posted by talonracer
Hey, I yould like to know if you know a good body shop and where they sell good eclipse/talon parts at a good price.

Around here, good luck. I'm trying to ship mine in from the states. The easiest thing to find for a 2g DSM is an aggressor body kit or a stillen. They're pretty good, but not as much variety here as in the states.

Let Strauss or I know what you are looking for and maybe we can help you out with parts. You could always come down here and get them or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back