Article: Should The Government of Quebec Index Speeding Fines To Income?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
0415-index-speeding-fines-to-income.jpg

http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp...ent-of-quebec-index-speeding-fines-to-income/

In Finaland getting a speeding ticket can costly – very costly. In fact it may even cost you more than the price of a brand new luxury vehicle if your salary is high enough. That’s because Finland calculates speeding fines according to the offender’s annual income.

Finnish businessman Reima Kuisla was recently fined 54,024 euros for traveling 105 km/h in an 80km/h zone. Kuisla is a millionaire so his fine was inflated in proportion to his annual income. He took to facebook to complain:

https://www.facebook.com/reima.kuisla/posts/1601806970080328

The fine was calculated to be about eight days of income on his 6,558,742 euro salary in 2013. Someone earning 50,000 euros per year would have gotten a fine of about 345 eurosHe has threatened to leave Finland altogether over the fine.

“Finland is now an impossible country to live in for people with a large income and wealth!” he posted on his page March 2.

Finland is considering reducing the fine for low speed infractions such as this one but the commission making the recommendation won’t finish its report until next year.

What do you think if Quebec instituted such a system here?

Dude makes 6.5 million a year. Gets a 54K ticket.

"It's impossible to live in Finland anymore for wealthy people!!!"

Bitch please. ROFL

No, they should increase inspections and fines for shit boxes on our streets (bald tires, rust buckets, worn out suspension, brakes, etc...) and inforce laws such as:

- no passing on the right
- no double lane passing
- zig-zag in/out of traffic
- left lane is a passing lane
- increase fines in residential areas and service roads

Absolutely, the reason of the fine is it to be a deterrent and it's not much of a deterrent when you can shrug it off.

Dude makes 6.5 million a year. Gets a 54K ticket.

"It's impossible to live in Finland anymore for wealthy people!!!"

Bitch please. ROFL

Dude, 8 days worth of salary for 25km/h over the limit is borderline nazi!!!! It's not like if he was going at twice the apeed limit or something like that.

why the fuck would you want to give 54k to nothing?

It's not like they're burning the money. It just goes back in the economy through the government.

That being said, it really depends. Regardless of income, a 54K fine for 105 in an 80 zone is ridiculous IMO. In theory is not a bad idea, if properly implemented but For Quebec I'd be totally against because our gov money management is horrible and because the system would be set up in a ridiculous way (lower incomes also affected, police would suddenly become more strict etc)

Absolutely, the reason of the fine is it to be a deterrent and it's not much of a deterrent when you can shrug it off.

I don't agree because all of this will turn into a Government bureaucratic mess costing hundreds of millions of dollars to Quebec taxpayers. Everyone will contest it, what happens if you can't pay it? Jail time? Impound the vehicle?

I am against these draconian measures, I would rather see our taxpayers money spent on better driver education and enforcing the laws.

This won't affect really rich people, only professionals that earn good incomes.

Real rich people in QC don't have a cent to their name. Their money, real estate, cars are owned by their compagnies or trusts... Well end up with pharmacists getting higher fines than "millionaires" without a cent to their name.

This is another measure by desperate governments to generate revenue instead of fixing the problems at the root...

I say no because I don't understand this mentality that if you are rich you should pay more for the same thing as a person who makes less money. Most rich people don't step in a puddle and become rich overnight. The make sacrifices that regular jo blos are not willing to make to become wealthy. If they are charged more because they worked their ass off. What the point of even being rich.

You realize that each time you get tickets you're paying three times right?

Once for the normal permit (and registration of your vehicle.)

Once for the ticket.

Once for the increase in your permit based on how many demerit points you have.

Next they'll take money directly from your salary or make you work for free on a chain-gang.

Then...

If you get caught GEV too many times you'll get a dangerous driving and could get an actual prison sentence if you crash regardless of whether or not you damage someone else or their property.

According to TVA, speeders in Quebec are like pedophiles, murderers and rapists.

YES but I would't recommend it for this shithole ... money would just disapear and the population would get no benefit out of it whatsoever

Un BS dans une vieille Dodge Caravan 95 toute rouillée ou un Ti-Coune dans sa vieille Civic fini sont 1000 fois plus dangereux lorsqu'ils font de la vitesse sur grande route qu'un riche dans sa Ferrari de l'année. Pis là on va motiver les policiers à cibler les chars de luxe pour récolter le max de $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Makes sense.

Une Ferrari qui roule à 140 sur une route déserte = quota du mois rempli!

This province doesn't need more tax money. It needs to actually use the money towards what it was intended to be used for in the first place. The rich don't deserve to be fined more for the same infraction just because they're rich, no.

Back