Spring cleaning

Took some more pics to sell the car, and I also installed a new OEM grille today, the old one was faded and covered in stone chips. Hopefully it'll sell quickly, it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor, then again an automatic MK5 2.5L is far from being a desirable car, LOL

DSC_1520_zps8io60ub3.jpg

DSC_1511_zpsk5je3l1m.jpg

DSC_1506_zpsx8zrrdvk.jpg

DSC_1504_zpsl1d1mhwx.jpg

Best trick for salt stains (DIY style) is a slight variation of what Dubweiser said.

In this order:
1) Shop vac to remove as many chunks as possible. Breaking off larger peices and dust makes the next steps easier
2) Use HOT water, not warm, in a spray bottle to dissolve the salt/calcium stains. Scrub with small plastic brush (bathroom type)
3) Use a Shop vac to suck up the water as you go. (repeat steps 2 and 3 as many times as needed to eliminate the stains)
4) Spray Zeps Carpet Cleaner (or vinegar if you want to save $10) on freshly cleaned area. This will neutralize the alkaline solution created by diluting the salt/calcium and avoid damage to the carpet fiber.
5) Final shop vac to remove as much liquid/moisture as possible.
6) Air dry in ventilated garage, or leave the doors open in the sun for a few hours.

BTW, Dub, the car looks good. Nice job. *tu*

Am I the only one who use the hose to clean the calcium off? I put the hose on the dirty spot and shop vac it on the other side. Carpet never sees excess water and gets the whole thing clean.

Took some more pics to sell the car, and I also installed a new OEM grille today, the old one was faded and covered in stone chips. Hopefully it'll sell quickly, it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor, then again an automatic MK5 2.5L is far from being a desirable car, LOL

Offtopic, but how is the heat on your 2.5L during winter? Mine doesn't heat up as fast as my Yaris or Civic. Thermostat was NOT an issue.

Back