Swapping a B20 into an EF: need help with OBD related things

HeadBanger

MR staff member
I'm currently in the process of trying to do a B20 swap.

This isn't going very well however.

The information online is sort of all over the place and it's been really hard for me to establish what I've needed to buy for what my goals are.
I have the intention to go OBD1. Of course the B20 is OBD2 though and the car is OBD0.
Now that that's out of the way let's get into it.
I have my JDM B20B with a short intake manifold. I have the OBD2 distributor from the engine as well. I have a DA transmission, shafts, alternator and starter. I have a chipped OBD1 ECU.

Now come my issues. Due to huge miss-communication/misinformation/misunderstanding (it's a bit of all from getting information for numerous sources) I have wrong parts, and/or wrong parts on their way from California.

I'm going to put this all on my shoulders as to not make it seem like I'm avoiding blame. So I understood that OBD2 components worked with OBD1 ECU. As it turns out that's not the case as none of the plugs are the same. Ok, whatever. To make it worse, now none of my plugs from my OBD0 harness will work with my engine. Fantastic.
So here we have a gigantic bill that's going to add up from my mechanic taking hours and hours to rewire everything.

My mechanic breaks it down to me that I'd be better off swapping my intake manifold and distributor to OBD0 so that my harness plugs right in and we can avoid that headache. Once that is done we can just plug in the ECU jumper I ordered to make it OBD1. He said the other option would be to source a CRV harness and graft the chassis harness and engine harness together, but that's still going to add up on labour costs.

This is where my brain stops working.
It's impossible to find the stuff I need. Either the eBay sellers don't want to ship to Canada, or the intake manifolds are incomplete. So it seems my options are either pay mechanic to wire everything up to work, or perhaps buy a B series harness from RyWire. http://www.rywire.com/catalog/budge....html?osCsid=c44be6faa2e4bb978ba4d1f0e2bd6704

If I buy the RyWire harness I'll still have issues with the fact I have a mix match of OBD components.
As of now I'm over budget on this build. Having paid an extra hundred bucks for a short intake B20 to avoid trying to find a B18 intake just to be told my intake is pretty much garbage.

Anyways most of that probably doesn't make sense, and I'm sorry for that. I'm just really confused and lost and haven't a clue what to do anymore.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Call Sajan at Synoptic Tuning -- 514-667-0808.

He has done many swaps with the EF. He has a B20 in his car. Yes, some of the plugs aren't the same, but you need to change the plugs, not the wiring completely.

I don't know if he is going to explain to you how to do it; but if you want someone who is going to do the job, and do the job RIGHT... he is your man.

He's wired up 3 of my cars, plus countless of other peoples. He also makes custom race harnesses and will strip out all the stuff that you don't need... if that is what you want.

L'intake manifold y'en a sûrement un chez Kenny, j'y étais hier et j'en ai vu un dans un DA.
Le distributeur, tu peux utiliser celui OBD2 et te faire un harness avec des plugs sur des char scrap. Chez Kenny, tu te promènes et tu te coupes des plugs côté harness OBD2.
Si je me souviens bien, tu peux repin une plug OBD0 dans une plug OBD1.

Il te faut aussi un harness OBD0-OBD1

Also, all OBD1-2 stuff works together, the plugs that are sometimes different.

just buy a obd1 ecu and distrbutor and wire the car mpfi obd1, its easy to find these things,even brand new on ebay, obd2 is too much of a hassle,just ditch the ecuthey gave you and find a 92-93 or up one

rywiring a obd0 too obd2 harness will suck

Back