Thinking of buying S13 vert; opinions needed

HeadBanger

MR staff member
So as the title says I'm thinking of buying a vert. I'd rather get a hatch but I found one for pretty cheap that's in pretty good shape.

Essentially I'm just wondering if there's anything different to look out for on a vert compared to a hatch/coupe. Of course make sure the top is in good shape and all the things relating to a convertible car.

Secondly; are they hard to sell? I see many for sale for quite a while, and that's the only thing turning me off about them. That being said, I'd be doing an SR swap most likely, maybe a KA-T, but the car will become manual. Is the reason for slow sales the fact that they aren't stick or is it because people ask $5k for a car that with a roof sells for $3.5? I don't really want to buy the car if I'll be stuck selling it dirt cheap later on when I decide to change it up a bit.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Go sr. if kept stock, its reliable. Just make sure to use the stock downpipe . Exaust manifold/Turbo gasket related issues. Ka-T great power, just a little more work and expenses.

Hard to sell? never tried but it seems the market get sometimes over saturated + there's the drift tax.

Also:
Check mainly two spots. At the bottom of the shock towers and the frame rails.

convertable or not? (didnt know vert was the short :p(sounds more like green to me)) Usualy convertables have a weaker structural body. Check if the doors close well. If they do your ok. If they don't the car is slightly bending.

Gl!

You'll want to change your doors... vert doors are EXTREMELY heavy... (and the belt bracket is fugly)... If the frame is in great shape, don't worry about rigidity (plus the fact that you may not want to keep it stock... a roll bar/cage or anything is a great addon and looks amazing on these cars...) They're "hard to sell" cause people ask way to much for these, i know they're becoming quite rare but still 5k for a stock auto vert is out of this world.

Cash and problems wise, i'd go SR... (S14 if possible) Buy the kit, take out the KA, put it in, call it a day... I'm not saying by any means that the KA is not worth it, BUT you'll have much more fun for less $$$ with a SR over long term period.

ya i'd put a roll bar/cage cuz those seat belts are nasty lol anybody know if you can still put the top up with a cage?

the guy is asking $2000 so no drift tax! he says it's in good shape. he just fixed the front end. whatever he means by that i don't know. haven't gone to see it yet. he said there's just one small hole in the floor. everybody's perception of small is different so we'll see.
why are the vert doors heavier? safety?

Back