ticket for covering plate by rear mounted bikes?

leoism

it hasn't happened to me, i am just asking if it is an offence and could be pulled over by police? should i be careful on this issue when carrying bikes? personally i don't like mounting them on the roof due to the huge wind drag and noise.

it hasn't happened to me, i am just asking if it is an offence and could be pulled over by police? should i be careful on this issue when carrying bikes? personally i don't like mounting them on the roof due to the huge wind drag and noise.

Spring quota is coming, i'd rather be safe then sorry.

I never had any problems. 2 DH bikes on the back of my Forester to Bromont and back often with a hitch rack. If it was illegal, companies couldn't sell suck hitch racks or trunk racks. If you get stopped by the cops, they are just being pricks.

Same here two bikes on the roof, 3 bikes on the back rack on a outback. If I had been pulled over cops would have been able to see my plate if he looked trough the bikes but back then speed cameras weren't around so I don't know if it would cause problem now a days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was illegal, companies couldn't sell suck hitch racks or trunk racks. If you get stopped by the cops, they are just being pricks.

Yes, because companies carefully research every variations of the traffic act in every state and province they operate in based on exhaustive testing of every possible combination of vehicle and bikes and wouldn't even remotely consider taking your money if it meant obstructing your licence plate.

The fact they're sold or commonly used doesn't shift the onus to ensure your plate is visible from the driver to the manufacturer or anybody else. There are no exemptions for this such as "you may obstruct your licence plate if you dislike roof racks and wind noise"

You have to consider your personal preferences vs your mounting options for your specific vehicle and ensuring your plate is as visible as can be if don't want to risk getting pulled over.

Otherwise you may be in violation and may get pulled over and ticketed

What people towing caravans or trailers I can't see there plates if I'm behind. I think there's room for tolerance with that rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow front of your plate or dirty unreadable plates are ticketed, but a bike rack is a toss up since you're not purposely obstructing your plate to commit a crime or infraction and get away with it. But I've seen some desperate cops and some that let things slide.

681 $ ticket for rear bike rack

Well here is your answer, 681$ ticket

13332929_10156979692140582_8340414664980342471_n.jpg

Meanwhile the police does this

13343153_939010416196249_4239140302453762763_n.jpg

C'est plate a dire mais si on avait deux plaques comme partout ailleurs dans le monde on aurait pas ce probleme la.

C'est plate a dire mais si on avait deux plaques comme partout ailleurs dans le monde on aurait pas ce probleme la.

C'est pas partout ailleurs au monde.

C'est limite abusif de la part du policier mais en même temps, si tu n'es pas en train de transporter des vélos, genre une journée de semaine pour te rendre au travail, enlève ça de ton hitch sinon le policier va penser que tu fais exprès pour cacher ta plaque. Je le vois de cette façon la. Ou simplement que le gars est trop paresseux.

Funny how you can get a ticket for a bike rack because your plate is not visible from behind, but you can pull a giant camper no problem, 18 wheeler no problem, city truck with trailer no problem.

C'est limite abusif de la part du policier mais en même temps, si tu n'es pas en train de transporter des vélos, genre une journée de semaine pour te rendre au travail, enlève ça de ton hitch sinon le policier va penser que tu fais exprès pour cacher ta plaque. Je le vois de cette façon la. Ou simplement que le gars est trop paresseux.

Agreed, also having the hitch ball on is illegal when not towing, but most people leave it in anyway

Funny how you can get a ticket for a bike rack because your plate is not visible from behind, but you can pull a giant camper no problem, 18 wheeler no problem, city truck with trailer no problem.

Don't you have a licence plate on a trailer or camper though?

Don't you have a licence plate on a trailer or camper though?

Yes you do, but it still cover your vehicle's plate from behind. Trailer plate is just for the trailer

edit. when you get caught speeding with a trailer, the ticket still says the towing vehicle's plate and not the trailer's for the vehicle committing the infraction.

Wouldn't that apply to the peeps that don't remove the snow off their cars and thereby mask their plates?

Oui ça s'applique aussi.

Je cautionne pas le ticket de 600+$, sauf qu'effectivement si tu as ton rack à vélo mais tu n'as aucun vélo dessus... ça peut ressembler à quelqu'un qui laisse son rack pour éviter des constats avec les photos-radars ou les péages sur les routes payantes par exemple.

Presque partout. Il y a quelques etats Americains et provinces qui l'ont pas mais la tres grande majorite ont les deux plaques. Pas que j'en veuille, c'est assez laid comme ca une Impreza sans en plus ajouter une plaque en avant, de plus je vois pas ou je pourrais en mettre une sur la CTS.

Cela etant dit le cas du monsieur a 700$ de ticket c'est une extreme erreur de jugement de la part du policier, peu importe la situation t'es l'arbitre, tu dois appliquer la loi selon ton jugement, pas selon ton humeur, ton taux de glycemie ou tes hormones me semble.

Mais effectivement je vois plein de gens meme juste dans le parking du bureau avec le rack encore dans le hitch ou avec la boule encore dedans. Moi j'enleve la mienne quand je m'en sers pas: c'est carrement dangereux pour les tibias!

Back