Voyage en Europe, besoin de beaucoup d'argent pour mes dépenses.

Vtecjustkickedin

Salut la gang :)

Je sais qu'il y'en à beaucoup ici qui voyagent régulièrement en Europe; je prévois y aller pour environ 2 mois l'année prochaine donc j'ai une coupe de question en rapport avec l'argent et j'imagine que vous allez pouvoir me répondre.

Vu que je vais rester quand même longtemps là-bas, je vais avoir besoin d'un bon montant en banque pour mes dépenses personnelles. Pour le moment, j'ai une limite de 1500$ sur ma carte. On s'entend que c'est pas une grosse limite, mais c'est ce que la banque m'a fixé vu que c'est ma première carte et que je faisais encore dans les 10$/H quand j'ai fait la demande (au-dessus de 11$ maintenant) et vu que je serai parti longtemps, j'ai pas d'argent qui va rentrer pendant ce temps là donc il y a un risque que je dépasse ma limite ou que je puisse pas payer mon compte.

Mon père m'a dit que je pourrais retirer des euros ici et donc les avoir en réserve, sauf qu'on à pas le droit de transporter plus qu'un certain montant sur soi quand on traverse les frontières, donc c'est sûr que je pourrais pas retirer trop trop avant de partir. Je peux pas vraiment profiter du fait que l'argent rentre chaque semaine pour me mettre des euros de côté.

Donc là ma question; quelle méthode privilégier?

Est-ce que je devrais me mettre de l'argent de côté, dans un compte épargne par exemple et m'en servir pour payer ma carte? Comme ça ça vide pas mon compte chèque.
Est-ce que c'est possible d'ouvrir un compte bancaire en euros? Je met tel montant en $CAD et c'est converti en euros et j'aurais une carte de guichet pour pouvoir utiliser le compte là-bas?
Est-ce que je retire en cash le maximum que je peux transporter et je met le reste sur ma carte? Au risque qu'il arrive une connerie du genre d'un agent de douane malhonnête ou un voleur dans la rue...

C'est un gros voyage que je prévois faire et ça fait déjà deux ans que je le planifie, mais là vu que 2016 approche je dois commencer à m'attaquer aux détails financiers et logistiques (je compte importer une voiture à la fin) parce que j'aimerais bien que mon premier gros voyage ''tout seul'' se déroule bien et sans encombres :)

(je compte importer une voiture à la fin)

Tu sens le besoin d'être en contexte pour avoir le moindre conseil? Je ne sais pas ce que les prochains te conseilleront mais pour moins de 2 mois de vacances, je te conseilles de rouler au comptant. Cash. Planifis tes trucs et sois smart avec tes mouvements. Toutes transactions bancaires pour moins de 2 mois vont te couter bcp trop cher..

In english because it's easier for me to type from this keyboard..

Ive been in Europe for 6 months now, started in Berlin, went east to Krakow,Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Belgrade, Split, and then west via a bunch of other cities. In all I've been in about ~20 cities so far

Eastern europe doesn't work on Euros, so depending where you go, bringing euros with you is pointless. Eastern europe is beautiful, modernized and CHEAP. I was able to rent an apartment downtown, with internet, etc for 700 CAD a month, and then good meals cost about 5 bucks. So if you want to maximize your time and money, plan to spend a bit of time in Eastern Europe. Central and western europe are much more expensive.

The western and central countries take euros. The best exchange rates, and I'm dead serious, is usually at ATM's. If I need cash, some ATM's just charge me a flat $5 fee, and then pretty much "near" spot rate exchange. Avoid the ones owned by western union :)

If you go to Germany, bring cash. Those guys don't know what a credit card is, and on the off chance a place accepts credit cards, they tell you "sorry, german cards only". Eastern Europe is also not that card friendly. Some places take cards, but all pubs, bars and local restaurants are cash only.

Travel by train is pretty cheap. I went from Bratislava to Budapest for like 9 dollars.

One good way to save money is rent a place for a month, and then take day trips via train to other cities. For example, when I was in Krakow, I took the high speed train and visited Warsaw a few times, and Wroclaw. In Spain, I got this place in Madrid, and take the high speed train to Valencia and Barcelona.

You definitely don't need a car to travel. Public transit is insanely good in almost any city. The only city i had problems in was Split, since it's more of a beach town.

Make sure you can speak decent english. And make sure you can understand broken english and be ready to have a translation app on your phone. Most europeans will try to communicate with you in english, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I find that the 28-35 generation speak better english, the younger and older generations barely speak it. That's been true all over europe so far.

Beware of gypsies. No joke. They have a scam where you're sitting at a cafe or whatever outside, and they'll come up to you with a map or newspaper and talk to you in a language you will definitely not understand. They'll put the map in front of you on top of your phone, try to keep you busy while they swipe your phone. I was warned about this by others and was ready for when it happened to me. And we're talking young too, 14-15 years old so don't let them fool you

Get local sim cards. Prague was $40 for 10GB of data per month, Budapest was $5 for 3GB, etc. you get the point. Get a local sim card for communication. I have an iPhone, so imessage / facetime meant most people could contact me and never need to know my local numbers.

Plan it right, and your expenses will be the same as if you were living in quebec. Mine are actually less. The only time I ended up spending more than I would if I were in Montreal was in Milan. But.. it's Milan so it wasn't a surprise.

Tax free shopping is cool too. Don't forget to ask about that when buying stuff. You get a refund at airports.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff, so if you have any questions, ask away. Europe is a wonderful continent. I've been enjoying it very much, and I'm sure you will too

Back