Article: West Island Man Outraged That Police Use Unmarked Van To Pull Someone Over

What a cry baby from DDO.. If you live in the west island then You know where all the cops hide on sources, St Johns and St Charles.. It doesnt matter what the cops are driving, you know the spots. I do believe the limit should be raised to 60 on those blvds though but it won't happen.

What a cry baby from DDO.. If you live in the west island then You know where all the cops hide on sources, St Johns and St Charles.. It doesnt matter what the cops are driving, you know the spots. I do believe the limit should be raised to 60 on those blvds though but it won't happen.

The problem is if you raise the speed limits to something reasonable, nobody will be speeding, and you can't have that happen.

Tell me, what's safer, parking a cruiser on the side of the street in a school zone, and everyone slowing down... Or sitting a unmarked car somewhere and waiting for someone to come by doing 30-over, & THEN turning on lights...
Shouldn't people be driving safety in a school zone regardless if there is a cop car or not?

The problem is if you raise the speed limits to something reasonable, nobody will be speeding, and you can't have that happen.
I'm pretty sure people will continue to drive over the speed limit even if they raise it.

bjwt9or.jpg

Shouldn't people be driving safety in a school zone regardless if there is a cop car or not?

Safely? Absolutely agree. But it all depends on the circumstance. 80 km/h next to one park can be safe and 40 km/h can be unsafe next to another.

I'm pretty sure people will continue to drive over the speed limit even if they raise it.

I think you would be surprised. On my parents' street, there's a park next the which the posted speed limit was changed to 30km/h about 2 years ago. That hasn't reduced the average driving speed of about 55-70km/h, because it's a long straight road with plenty of visibility, and rarely is there anyone in the park or on the street. However, during the times where it is populated, people will slow down consequently; down to even 20 km/h, depending on where the people/kids are. They did this before the it was dropped to 30.

Of course, you can guess that the days they park cop cars next to parks are the days they know people will drive quicker; where there isn't even a cat (pas un chat).

Safely? Absolutely agree. But it all depends on the circumstance. 80 km/h next to one park can be safe and 40 km/h can be unsafe next to another.
Well no it depends on the speed limit :) You are basically saying to disregard the limit just because you deem it safe to go a certain speed.

I think you would be surprised. On my parents' street, there's a park next the which the posted speed limit was changed to 30km/h about 2 years ago. That hasn't reduced the average driving speed of about 55-70km/h, because it's a long straight road with plenty of visibility, and rarely is there anyone in the park or on the street. However, during the times where it is populated, people will slow down consequently; down to even 20 km/h, depending on where the people/kids are. They did this before the it was dropped to 30.

Of course, you can guess that the days they park cop cars next to parks are the days they know people will drive quicker; where there isn't even a cat (pas un chat).
So if the street is not populated you're allowed to go 25-40km/h over the limit?
I mean I kinda get what you are saying but then when people get a ticket for speeding in a situation like this they bitch.
Residential roads and 30km/h park and school zones are not hard to follow.

The other poster was talking about raining the limit on Boulevards.
It's currently 50km/h and most people go 70km/h. If they raised it to 70km/h most people would just go 90km/h and so on.

It's currently 50km/h and most people go 70km/h. If they raised it to 70km/h most people would just go 90km/h and so on.

C'est 50 sur les boulevards parce que la limite a été abaissée partout. Avant c'était 70 et les gens roulaient 70. Ça a baissé à 50 et les gens roulent encore 70.

C'est 50 sur les boulevards parce que la limite a été abaissée partout. Avant c'était 70 et les gens roulaient 70. Ça a baissé à 50 et les gens roulent encore 70.
C'est vrai.
Mais quand la limite etait 70km/h, les gens faisait 90km/h :p
Je me souvients sur De La Verendry. Les gens roulait pas mal vite.

le policier conduisant le véhicule avoir avec elle le certificat de reconnaissance. ''Lorsque la Société reconnaît un véhicule comme un véhicule d'urgence, elle délivre à son propriétaire le certificat de reconnaissance et la vignette prévus à l'annexe I. Le certificat est valide pour 2 ans et peut être révoqué si le véhicule ne rencontre plus les critères de reconnaissance de l'article 1.
La vignette doit être apposée dans la partie inférieure gauche du pare-brise.
http://www2.publicationsduquebec.go...echarge.php?type=2&file=//C_24_2/C24_2R49.htm

Police are here to serve and PROTECT. Not serve and punish and trap and collect . Yes you should always follow the law but the police should always make their presence known .

The idea is to prevent a crime/infraction/accident , if the person does not see the police because the vehicule is unmarked and keeps is intention of doing an infraction and then causes an accident , what gain did we get from a unmarked police vehicule.

In that scenario if the police vehicule was visible the person would of abstain from doing the infraction and an accident would of been avoided. That's what protect and serve is.

Justement, comme tu dis, pour nous protéger des imbeciles irresponsables qui se croient tout permis sur les routes que nous utilisons aussi. Je suis d'accord avec les véhicules banalisés de la police.

I don't mind unmarked police cars if they are used to target tailgaters, people who don't signal and morons who can't put down their fucking cellphones for an hour.

Attitudes displayed by motorists like Mr. Fagen demonstrate the very need for unmarked vehicles like the Caravan. This also why I support stricter measures like infractions for GEVs and other speeding, especially near schools and parks in residential areas. It's well known that some motorists tend to take advantage of the lack of visible police presence to drive faster when they're in a hurry. The other day I observed a motorist in a Sante Fe driving at least 50% over the posted limit past a school and he did not slow down despite the fact a police cruiser was in pursuit with overhead lights. It was once they used the siren and both officers exited their vehicle to confront him that he finally got a clue he was driving too fast.

So the guy was going 45 and it was wayyyy too fast and deserved a ticket? You have GOT to be kidding me.

So if the street is not populated you're allowed to go 25-40km/h over the limit?
I mean I kinda get what you are saying but then when people get a ticket for speeding in a situation like this they bitch.

The other poster was talking about raining the limit on Boulevards.

Nope, 70 on boulevard tascherau on the south shore. Been like that all my life and nobody speeds there, in fact, the lights even prevent 90% of the people of going over 60 (I'm not talking about the longueuil section). There are never tax operation there because cops knows they wont catch speeders there. Of course, I'm incredibly surprised they didn't lower it yet but I'm sure it will come.

You guys have to understand that human nature will want to drive at reasonable speeds. Thats the 85 centile concept. People will not ALWAYS automatically go 20 over the limit if the limit is high enough.

Yes, unmarked cop cars are government & municipal cash-grabs of tax-payer money. But you deserve the ticket if you get caught & especially if you cant recognize/spot an unmarked cop car. Drive like asshole, pay up asshole.

He thinks its ok to drive dangerously as long as theres no cops? Take away his license forever. He can rush as much as he wants on public transport.

I don't think you're ever held your speed at 30 km/h for more than a couple of seconds. It's incredibly (and uselessly) slow, and totally unrealistic to expect people to obey that full time.

I guess it's too much to ask for people to use reasoning and judgement as opposed to follow a prescription to the T.
See boulevards versus residential areas, which both seem to have 50 km/h posted limits, but only one of them has law enforcement doing radar.

I'm looking forward for ber0ff19-2 to come back to this thread with a reasonable argument why people and police should put their judgement aside.

Back