why do people pay over 1K to wrap their cars?

Hexis vinyl is really nice, if you look on US forums there are many guys that switched from 3M and refuse to use anything else except Hexis.
They also have a lot of really nice colors, including crocodile skin as well as pearls, gloss and matte finishes. I saw swatches of their vinyl, it's top notch stuff and can pass for paint.

I agree that using cheap vinyl is absurd when you consider the labor involved, and that you basically need a full roll for most vehicles to do a nice job and minimize seams.

So I'm guessing the cost adds up as follows:

Hexis 54" x 65 feet of satin white is about $900 CAD shipped (Status Motors out west sells this if you want to verify) .
Approx. $100 is needed for supplies and wear and tear of equipment (digital heat gun, usage of magnets, etc.)
So that's $1000 in materials to do an external wrap on an average car.

I saw the 3M guys at SEMA perform a multi-layer (3 different vinyls) wrap on a whole car in 5 hours with a crew of 3 guys, so 15 hours for them total.... Either way, these guys are real pros doing this every day, so I'll assume a shop here with 2 guys doing a single layer vinyl would take 12 hours. At $65/hr (which is a fair shop rate considering cost of renting, hydro, and such) each that's $1560 in labor.

Total about $2500....

Is that basically it?

P1140810.jpg

P1140809.jpg

P1140808.jpg

P1140807.jpg

Back