Why do we not see more diesel engines here in Canada?

Let's shake things up a bit.
Ram EcoDiesel.

It seems like 1/4 of the Ram's we've been selling are EcoDiesels.
Fantastic mileage and towing capacity.

One downside is that an oil changes aren't cheap.
Mopar filter is $60, oil is $16.15/l x10. We're talking $221.50 before any labour, DEF, or taxes.

Ram EcoDiesel.

Mopar filter is $60, oil is $16.15/l x10. We're talking $221.50 before any labour, DEF, or taxes.

Like mentioned here. you have to drive at least 1000km/wk or pull 10 000lbs/day for it to be worth while. Also, what is the oil change interval of the ecodiesel vs a gasser in the dodge line-up?

Wait until the some of the used ones go for sale. How much of a difference will there be between the diesel and the gasser! Guaranteed the diesel one will sell for more. Go look on how much a 1995 Dodge Ram Cummins goes for with 400 000km vs one with a 5.7 gasser with 200 000km.

Depends how you want to look at it. We say 5000km for gas truck, 10000km for ecodiesel. Most people just go by when the computer tells them which is something crazy like 16000km on the ecodiesel.

don't know why, but diesel cars have lower retail price in Europe.
Audi Q7 in France:
v6 3.0 TFSI 67800 EUR (59200 CAD here)
v6 3.0 TDI 59700 EUR (64200 CAD here)

Le V6 TFSI est un moteur ESSENCE !

Les diesel sont toujours plus cheres que les essence, que ce soit en prix d'achat qu'en entretien...

uncle helmut ... hey boy

What's the problem? Back in the day where oil changes were done at 5000km, did you change your oil at 2500km? How many people had beaters just filled up the oil and drove the car with the same filter for 2-3 years before sending the car to china in 1' cube?

Synthetics don't brake down like dyno oil. It says 15000km in the manual, well, you change at 15000km. How many change their sparkplugs at X km's. How many change their O2 sensors after 160 000km? For the O2 people say fuck-it and drive with a check engine and burn gas like mutha fucka. But hey....change your oil past 8000km.

Despite the added emissions equipement, diesels still make a lot of sense for larger, heavier vehicles IMO (IE SUVs and up)

They ain't as fast in a straight line (big deal) power delievery is a bit different but fuel mileage scales up better to higher speeds and loads. Best of all, they usually achieve or exceed their posted mileage numbers (unlike the new breed of direct injected turbo charged motors that only look good on paper)

Ecoboosts are faster than a bat out of hell unloaded but hitch a trailer to it and you're in for a world of pain as far as mileage is concerned. It's literally night and day. I've experienced 30l/100km towing a 5000lb boat at highway speeds. It's truly mind boggling. Even the large n/a V8 in a full size GM did so a lot more efficiently.

Diesels may not be as much of a no brainer as it used to be as far as reliabilty is concerned but for certain applications they are simply unmatched.

I can't say for sure I'd buy a TDI if I was in the market for a compact car, but I don't see myfelf going back to a gas powered pick up truck if I can avoid it.

Ram EcoDiesel.

It's not that bad if you know what you're doing.
I've just done it myself for less than half what you guys charge (ie just shy of robbery, especially with the lesser interval you recommend)

You even get the satisfaction of making sure it was done properly and the right low ash engine oil was used.

Costs me $120 (48 for oem filter, $70 for 10l of full synthetic Total oil that meets Chrysler's spec)
DEF cost me $0.83 a liter(at the pump, no less!) for an extra $20 or so every 15 000km.

All you need is 15minutes, a level surface a drain pan a 13mm wrench for the oil drain plug, 27mm socket for the oil filter cover.Truck has high enough ground clearance you don't even need to lift it, just slide right underneath. The filter is a cartridge, easily accessible from the top and doesn't make a mess.

This might just be the easiest oil change I've ever done (fuck hemis and their shitty spin on filters)

I'm not even concerned about warranty as I've documented it and kept my receipts.

Last edited:
What's the problem? Back in the day where oil changes were done at 5000km, did you change your oil at 2500km? How many people had beaters just filled up the oil and drove the car with the same filter for 2-3 years before sending the car to china in 1' cube?

Synthetics don't brake down like dyno oil. It says 15000km in the manual, well, you change at 15000km. How many change their sparkplugs at X km's. How many change their O2 sensors after 160 000km? For the O2 people say fuck-it and drive with a check engine and burn gas like mutha fucka. But hey....change your oil past 8000km.

I wasn't referring to your oil change intervals.

Le TDI est dans son prime à bas régime. Ton Honda à haut régime! Je prendrais 236lb de torque au dessus de 142lb. La TDI est rendu déjà en troisième puis ton Honda touche le cut-off en première. Le nombre de civic que j'entends essayé d'acceléré pour se rendre à son cut-off est longue! Très longue.

Sur l'autoroute, je ne suis pas obligé de rétrograder pour dépassé une civic en accelération. Aussi, quand je monte dans le nord via la 329. Je tourne à 1900 rpm sur le cruise à 90km/hr et je n'ai jamais besion de rétrograder pour monté une cote. Ta civic tu va surment rétrograder en troisième.

La plupart du monde ne savent pas conduire diesel! Ça rince ça à 3000-4000 tours. C'est sûr que c'est vache! La pompe défuel rendu à 4000rpm. Un diesel tu shift à bas régime pour rester dans le prime 1900-2500rpm, la Civic tu shift ça dans panne V-tech yo!

Ton TDI produit 236lb de torque à partir de 1750-3500rpm en plus! ;)

So, the summary here is that your 90hp TDi is faster than a K24 powered Civic/RSX, because you got twice the torque? Or are you just faster from a roll (like 80-120, 100-160) but not from a standstill?

So, the summary here is that your 90hp TDi is faster than a K24 powered Civic/RSX, because you got twice the torque? Or are you just faster from a roll (like 80-120, 100-160) but not from a standstill?

Ouais mais Carroll Shelby a dit "HP sells cars, torque wins races". Donc diesel>gas any day.

Pi tsé tout le monde connait le succes flamboyant des char de course diesel de Carroll Shelby.

Civic vx 1992, consommation et performances de tdi 1.9 sans la puanteur et caractère de tracteur.

It's not that bad if you know what you're doing.
I've just done it myself for less than half what you guys charge (ie just shy of robbery, especially with the lesser interval you recommend)

You even get the satisfaction of making sure it was done properly and the right low ash engine oil was used.

Costs me $120 (48 for oem filter, $70 for 10l of full synthetic Total oil that meets Chrysler's spec)
DEF cost me $0.83 a liter(at the pump, no less!) for an extra $20 or so every 15 000km.

All you need is 15minutes, a level surface a drain pan a 13mm wrench for the oil drain plug, 27mm socket for the oil filter cover.Truck has high enough ground clearance you don't even need to lift it, just slide right underneath. The filter is a cartridge, easily accessible from the top and doesn't make a mess.

This might just be the easiest oil change I've ever done (fuck hemis and their shitty spin on filters)

I'm not even concerned about warranty as I've documented it and kept my receipts.

So you either work in a shop or have a nice hook up because $48 for the filter is 20% discount.
An oil change would cost me $158 With OE filter and OE Penzoil Platinum Euro L. I don't see your point.

The reason the service advises the shorter interval is because a large chunk of our clients are farmers or people who work with the truck. They can do it whenever they want. 90% of people don't listen to us anyways because they know much better than us anyways. If we say 16000km they'd probably only come in at 20k and then blame us for chrysler not paying out when their $20,000 engine goes pop.

Anyways, your $120 oil change is still more expensive than the average vehicle.

If we say 16000km they'd probably only come in at 20k and then blame us for chrysler not paying out when their $20,000 engine goes pop.

Anyways, your $120 oil change is still more expensive than the average vehicle.

I agree you shouldn't expect the manufacturer's support if you exceed it's maintenance intervals. I'd personally rather come in under then over to be on the safe side but 16k is already "safe enough" for most.

The thing is Ram is well aware they sold a truck, to be used in Canada as a truck and then some by their clients ( some of them who think all diesels, regardless of chassis (1500, 2500, 3500s) can tow ridiculous loads in severe conditions)

My point is that they're already on the safe side at 16k for a 3l engine with 10l of full synthethic in the pan. (For reference the much larger 6.7l cummins only takes an extra quart and can go 24 000km between services as per cummins/chrysler)

It's just irritating to me to see dealers go against the manufacturer's and (some) client's interest for what feels like "buddy just spent 50 large on a truck, we can wring out some more money out of him easily" At these kinda prices, 10k should be the exception, not the norm.

We've already established they're at a competitive disadvantage vs GM and Ford half tons for service costs.

Wouldn't it make sense to make every effort to try and lessen the financial gap? 17$ a quart for oil? What is this? HP printer oil?Sure, truck owners are a loyal bunch for the most part, but there has a to be a breaking point.

Lots of folks bought a diesel to save money. If they don't, there's a very real risk they'll buy a ford next time and pay $60 every 12k for service on their ecoboost. Or worse, they'll go to jiffy lube and get 5w30 dino juice meant for gas engines.

I want light duty diesels to succeed in north america. It looks like service costs might be a substantial issue if they're not kept in line.

/End rant.

/Nothing personal buddy. I know you don't set pricing and that you've got to toe the line. If anything it looks like you're more knowledgable then most *tu*

Here's another reason you're unlikely to see "dirty" diesel engines become mainstream in North America: It looks like VW cheated to pass emissions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/b...t_na_20150918&nlid=59253522&ref=headline&_r=0

The Environmental Protection Agency issued the German automaker a notice of violation and accused the company of using software known as a “defeat device” in 4-cylinder Volkswagen and Audi vehicles from model years 2009-15. The device is programmed to detect when the car is undergoing official emissions testing. Only during such tests are the cars’ full emissions control systems turned on. During normal driving situations, the controls are turned off, allowing the cars to spew as much as 40 times as much pollution as the legal standard required under the Clean Air Act, the E.P.A. said.

J'aimerais Ça voir un Civic vs tdi les deux en 3ème roll start a 25kmh ste quand le moteur vire a 800 rpm jusqu'au cut off, pour vraiment voir la différence entre un char qui torque a 1500rpm contre un char qui torque pas vraiment sauf à 4500 rpm

Back