Can brake cleaner kill abs sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleckxss

To make a long story short:

My ABS light came on a few days ago. After visually searching for the problem without success, I finally got the code scanned. Right front sensor.

I come back home and take the wheel off, and I finally see the cable going to the sensor is almost cut (could see the copper from the two wires inside) because is was rubbing against the tie-rod end's cutter pin (I had misplaced the cable when I changed a wheel bearing). OK, then I cut the cable, I resolder everything, route the cable correctly this time, and put the wheel back on. I'm pretty sure my soldering skills are more than ok for this job, I've been soldering for about 15 years

The ABS light is still on... But I remember when the problem started, the light kept turning on and off for the first few days. So if I fixed the problem, the light should turn on and my ABS start working again?

Two days before the light first came on, I cleaned my brakes thoroughly with an old can of brake cleaner I had. Is it possible that I killed the sensor by cleaning the brakes? Or do I need to pay again to get my codes cleared? :dunno:

Thanks

Disconnect the battery for like 30 seconds, that should clear the codes.

And like silverbullet said, they sell ABS Safe brake cleaner so maybe the old stuff had a chemical in it that ruined sensors.

J'ai pas eu besoin d'effacer le code ABS dans ma Nissan quand j'ai changé le capteur. Il s'est éteint aussiôt que j'ai démarré. P-e que sur ta Maxima c'est différent sinon ton sensor est encore defect.

Freine dans le fond, tu vas savoir si le capteur est défectueux, ta roue va barrer et ça va laisser une trace.

Sur mon nettoyant à frein, c'est indiqué ''safe for ABS'' alors p-e que ton produit ne l'est pas?

Wow my bimmer has had this exact same problem... code comes up rear left sensor... ABS, Brake light and ASC lights all come on... speedometer or gas consumption doesn't work either.

I've ordered a new sensor but I have a feeling it might be a fuse too...

I regularly spray brake cleaner on the rotors... i wonder if some of it has soaked the housing and damaged it.

I really might have been a fuse, since the open cable was touching an unpainted metallic part, that's probably grounded.... but I just checked it, and even exchanged it with a fuse (same amp don't worry) from another system that was working... ABS light still on.

Too bad it's raining outside, I would've tried unplugging the battery, but I'm pretty sure that won't help. I tried erasing the codes with a obd2 reader (but I don't think it clears ABS codes since the light stays on at the moment I clear the codes) and as I said before, in the beginning, the light was turning on and off all the time, and the system was working correctly every time it was off. But I'll try it tomorrow anyway.

I will also try to remove the sensor along with it's ~1 meter cable, and check if there was other damage on it, since there were cracks forming all over it. I will also check it for conductivity from one end to the other.

Is there any electrical test I can do to make sure the sensor is working? Like checking it's resistance when it's touching metal and when it's not?

Ugh with a scanner its easy.. you just lift the car and check to see if all the sensors are reading speed.

Use a test light to see if you have power and ground with the ignition on at the connector.

I've fixed many broken wires on Maxima's before and the light went off right away.

ok thanks,I'll check at the sensor at the place I did my work on the cable, which is about 3 inches from the sensor (and doublecheck my soldering job while I'm there, nobody's perfect eh?), and if I do get 12V there and it's still not working, I'll try to find a sensor from a scrapyard, since it's 275$$$$$$$$ from the stealership, and there's no jobbers...

I just hope I don't pay 100$ for a used one that doesn't fix my problem :dunno:

thanks again gregster you're very helpful :bigup: +rep

Did your brake cleaner was "safe for ABS" ? Because if it's not this probably killed your ABS sensor. Even if it's a sealed unit, they don't sale "ABS safe" cans for nothing ;)
Seb

isn't an ABS sensor nothing but a magnetic pickup?? I don't see how brake cleaner would damage the sensor...I don't think it would damage it, I often clean electrical components with brake cleaner and it never gave me any trouble.

They sell ABS safe brake cleaner 'cause they can sell it for more and people will still buy it 'cause people don't think before they buy...they see it's written GOOD on the can, and they'll think it's good.

wow parts are a lot cheaper there

whoo hoo the manual speed sensor is half the price... I will ask the dealer again though, since they didn't ask me if it was manual or auto, they probably assumed it was auto.

unfortunately I found that in the shipping policies of the site:

"WE DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONAL. WE ONLY SHIP TO THE 50 USA STATES"

Freeport. J'ai sauvé une tonne de cash grâce à eux.

Yup, les MAF, speed sensors et evap sensors sont des pièces qui rapportent beaucoup d'argent à Nissan. :)

Yup, les MAF, speed sensors et evap sensors sont des pièces qui rapportent beaucoup d'argent à Nissan. :)

Pas quand tu sais traffiquer le MAF des 2002-2003 avec un 2001 et un ptit criss de bout de broche qui te fait sauver 400$ :D Quand tu le sais pas bin tu fais comme moi, tu fais le cave pis tu payes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back