What you get for 5k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front-engine RWD isn't awesome after a 30 cm snowfall when your tires just spin, and you end wasting time to shovel out your car with crappy traction.

Mid-engine RWD sucks in the snow because the front end doesn't bite - it's too lightweight.

Look for a nice Mercedes-Benz (W201) 190E from the USA. You can find rust-free examples for well under $5,000 if you shop around. Nice selection of engines. Easy to upgrade. Bulletproof reliability. Very sexxay old-school, upright, Eurotrash looks:

MB_190E-AMG_77.jpg

Avoid the temptation to buy a "cheap" 2.3-16 Cosworth model, as they can be real money pits. The parts for those engines are quite steep. I would look for a 2.6L "Sportline" model. Then add an AMG bodykit and wheels (like the car in the pic above).

Or, you can go with the generic choice: BMW E36 325is.

Some people still believe RWD in winter is dangerous... that or they don't know how to drive properly.

Doesn't matter how good of a driver you are - you'll get stuck in the snow more easily. Just impractical. If you like having to ask your friends for a push, then enjoy yourself. Not that FWD can't get stuck either, but it's harder.

It's a question of having weight over the drive wheels.

I never said spinning out was a problem.

atm its between a subaru forester and a mazda miata, i'd get a beater for the winter ^^

Why don't you get the Miata and a beater forester for winter ?

Best of both worlds !

Miata is the best fun/money ratio to be found (on 4 wheels)

Doesn't matter how good of a driver you are - you'll get stuck in the snow more easily. Just impractical. If you like having to ask your friends for a push, then enjoy yourself. Not that FWD can't get stuck either, but it's harder.

exactly, though this winter wasnt that hard, i remember having to push my friend e46 where my car just passed there a few second before ..

RWD is fun, but forget getting around MTL in a snow storm and parking in hill around mont royal !!

for 5000$ i would go get a audi a4 in the states.. or a bmw e36-e46;), maybe even a newer Saab, those are fast !!!

hell i just saw a clean 2000 b5 S4 for 6500$ in toronto, sold fast though !

Been driving RWD's in Montreal for over the last 3 years and no problem at all. Only two times I got stuck is because I pushed the car too much but that's solely my fault.
Good tires (potentially studded in back, normal in front) or an LSD and you're set. It makes a world of difference.

LSD pwns all, doesn't matter RWD or FWD. As much as your point is true, been there done that and I haven't gotten stuck. I've been out every snowstorm this year before they could even plow the roads and never even remotely got stuck once. Even if it was calm winter, the two storms were great.

Front-engine RWD isn't awesome after a 30 cm snowfall when your tires just spin, and you end wasting time to shovel out your car with crappy traction.

Mid-engine RWD sucks in the snow because the front end doesn't bite - it's too lightweight.

Some sand bags up front and there you go (and some left foot braking, weight transfer, and other fancy techniques). But I'd just get an impreza still.

Why don't you get the Miata and a beater forester for winter ?

Best of both worlds !

Miata is the best fun/money ratio to be found (on 4 wheels)

MR2 mk1 is about the same, but in MR, and with an optional "powerful" engine.
+ they get less stuck in the snow and as they are old and cheap, I wouldn't mind to see it rust because of the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back