Airplane Thread

lol yeah that's kind of funny

but when you look at Elon's Musk stuff, space x is no joke

also some passenger supersonic planes are coming back and not only that but with improvements like no sonic boom
electric planes are getting there as well, some really interesting stuff that works now
the continus developement and investment in drones by companies has given birth to personal "flying cars", products are out and more are coming,

depends on how you look at it, tech is there, know how as well, it's just a question of money as usual, manufacturing getting cheaper and if the need is there you'll see the supersonics popup everywhere...... anyway who cares about supersonic, hypersonic is the shit now, get into orbit and just glide towards your landing strip with a combination of ram/scram jet "engines" if you can call them that, not sure how you gonna slow down but that's details...

None of the big aircraft manufacturers are working on a supersonic passenger plane. Boom Technology is a startup that has never built an aircraft before and will run out of money because they don't have the infrastructure to produce airplanes.

It's cool that the private sector is finally getting seriously into the satellite launch business but i can't help feeling disappointed that we don't have bases on Mars and on the Moon and that we haven't started mining the asteroid belt.

Technology was also not the same in the 80's. Lot of NYC/Euro flights can be done over video conferences nowadays.

Concorde was used as a tool. Here are the flight times

BA 001 LHR-JFK 10.30am arrive JFK 9am
BA 002 JFK-LHR 9am arrive LHR 17.25
BA 003 LHR-JFK 18.25pm arrive JFK 5pm
BA 004 JFK-LHR 12pm arrive LHR 8pm

They were all pre cleared flights as well. There are many tales of arriving before 9am JFK. Chopper to Wall Street Port. Meeting, sign documents or whatever then back to JFK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the big aircraft manufacturers are working on a supersonic passenger plane. Boom Technology is a startup that has never built an aircraft before and will run out of money because they don't have the infrastructure to produce airplanes.

It's cool that the private sector is finally getting seriously into the satellite launch business but i can't help feeling disappointed that we don't have bases on Mars and on the Moon and that we haven't started mining the asteroid belt.

They're not the only ones, but I have to admit that in the last 6 months I haven't heard much news in regards to their development.... to be honest even with easier manufacturing, I was kind of scratching my head how they could become profitable... but I guess maybe that's not their objective, just sell a few ones and than get bought by the big boys....

EDIT: as for the space exploration stuff, maybe it's better this way, who knows..... maybe now it's that sweet spot between starting more or less "mass production" of space ships/etc... when the technology permits it, but also waiting for it to be mature enough, to be a good enough platform to start on and allow quick upgrades (by platform I include pretty much everything in regards to space exploration and or mining)

Last edited:
They were for the airlines.

https://simpleflying.com/did-british-airways-make-a-profit-flying-concorde/

I have no idea what the prices of aviation fuel were like back then. The main problems were that the tickets were very expensive and the plane could only carry 100 passengers.

BA started making fist fulls of cash once they started charging what people thought they were paying. BA had the better route though… those people didn’t even know the price! They also offered seats on repositioning flights over Bay of Biscay etc

AF was pretty much trapped to tourism and not really making all that much with with compared to BA. I read in one of my books that Concorde division was 10-12% of BA revenue overall.

I’ve toured Delta Golf(Weybridge) , Foxtrot Alpha(Dulles) Alpha Delta (NYC) Alpha Golf ( Seattle) Alpha Charlie (Manchester) and Alpha Foxtrot (Bristol)

We actually had a tea service on Alpha Charlie !

3484bf10aef035f34c256652aedfed34.jpg

That video is sorta correct. AF never really bothered with their Concorde fleet. Their aircraft were getting a worn out and maintenance was a bit spotty so was that accident report from the crash. BA had continually updated their aircraft and had a maintenance program so comprehensive that it was studied by other airlines and NASA. Then again I’m biased, the bitterness of speaking to former BA staff has been absorbed into me

Oddly enough there is way more money now and a larger client base for such aircraft. London- Dubai for example

Almost Every night...around 7-8 pm . Especially Thursday to Saturday.

oh ya? this was mid-day (2pm ish).

I'm not talking about the traditional loop around Mt-Royal.

I was talking about multiple "low" altitude loops in a square between say... crescent, bleury, sherbrooke and st-antoine/viger.

oh ya? this was mid-day (2pm ish).

I'm not talking about the traditional loop around Mt-Royal.

I was talking about multiple "low" altitude loops in a square between say... crescent, bleury, sherbrooke and st-antoine/viger.
J'essayais de trouver du parking mais j'ai fini par laisser faire.

Ok. Some colours don't work at supersonic speeds is why I was asking IE: the pepsi livery on the concorde.

Mach 1 to 1.7 had no restrictions. Over 1.7 to 2.02 was time based. I don’t think they had approval from the manufacture to paint the wings. Those had to be kept white because of fuel temp

Fighters can’t maintain supersonic flight for long either. Airframe restrictions, what’s ont the wings, engine wear and fuel burn. Concorde holds the record for most supersonic hours of any aircraft

Last edited:
Back