Changed front rotors and pads. Pedal is still low. 2003 jetta

lol_face3

As the title says, I changed the rotors and pads last weekend and the pedal is still "low."

The last time I had brand new brakes the pedal was nice and firm.

I searched but didn't find a definite reason of what it could be.

- The brake fluid is topped off.
- Do i need to bleed the brakes?
- Could i have over torqued the sliders?

Let me know what you think.

are the sliders greased and sliding back and forth properly?
As the title says, I changed the rotors and pads last weekend and the pedal is still "low."

The last time I had brand new brakes the pedal was nice and firm.

I searched but didn't find a definite reason of what it could be.

- The brake fluid is topped off.
- Do i need to bleed the brakes?
- Could i have over torqued the sliders?

Let me know what you think.

Here's what I would do, note that it might not be the proper way...

1) Bleed the brakes. if air bubbles come out, then you've fixed 90% of the problem.
2) fill up brake fluid to a known point. mark it exactly.
3) drive it for a week or so, if the mark has moved at all, you might have a leak (actually, you DO have a leak)
4) check your master cylinder.

You mentioned that your brake is low. when you are idling at a light, and you pump the brake pedal, does it get stiffer? if yes, I THINK its the master cylinder. if know I THINK it's possibly something with your actual pedal assembly.

Note: I am not a mechanic.

Good luck.

You mentioned that your brake is low. when you are idling at a light, and you pump the brake pedal, does it get stiffer? if yes, I THINK its the master cylinder. if know I THINK it's possibly something with your actual pedal assembly.

It's not unusually low. It feels the same as before the brake job. Not as sensitive as it felt like when i had new rotors and pads years ago.

The sliders should be moving freely. I lubed the fuck out of them. It could be that I over tightened since I tightened by hand.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll start by bleeding the brakes. It's just weird since i never opened any of the lines...

and your back brakes? what do they look like?

mk4 rear brakes are always rusted as the pins always jams!

I had this with a fluid change and after getting it checked twice was told it would go away which it has. Some funny VW thing that I do not understand. Not sure if it was a pressure bleed but know that is the way to go for a proper flush.

Back