Need help finding a truck that can pull a car for around 10k

patrickd_21

Another thread on what to buy... Bascially I just picked up a 335i (like 2 months ago) but Im realizing that I need a truck now for work and to tow the race car to the track. Basically I would like to spend between 9-11k for a vehicle that will be able to tow an open trailer with a 2500-2800lbs car on it, plus 200lbs of other gear....lets call it 3000lbs. I don't want anything with rust, has to be fairly nice. What are your recommendations?

PS I'm a huge newb at towing and towing capacities, payload, etc, and with trucks

To haul a car, even on a lightweight trailer, look into something fullsized, dont get an SUV rated for 3500lbs and hope it'll be ok.

IMHO, some of the best car hauler for the track are trucks or fullsized vans. Tons of room to carry stuff, sleep in if you need it.

Just an example but something like that, have it checked by a transmission shop prior to buying but otherwise solid drivetrain in there and wont have issues hauling a car/trailer.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...08/1174733568?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

gmc-experience-towing-trailering-tab05-chart-ratings-savana-cargo-642x.jpg

Is the trailer a must? Because you can tow it by letting it roll on it's own wheels (dinghy towing). Buddy towed a car to BC from here using a box van and dinghy towing.

Is the trailer a must? Because you can tow it by letting it roll on it's own wheels (dinghy towing). Buddy towed a car to BC from here using a box van and dinghy towing.

I'd say pretty non-avoidable to haul a RWD track bitch on a full trailer and no a dolly...

To haul a car, even on a lightweight trailer, look into something fullsized, dont get an SUV rated for 3500lbs and hope it'll be ok.

IMHO, some of the best car hauler for the track are trucks or fullsized vans. Tons of room to carry stuff, sleep in if you need it.
H]

Why not ?

2006-2007 Audi Q7, VW Touareg, Honda Pilot,

As much as I'm not an American car fan.
Something like this ...
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ie/1174458630?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...-0l-diesel-4x4-cuir-toit-ouvr/1166911786?null

I'd say pretty non-avoidable to haul a RWD track bitch on a full trailer and no a dolly...

What dolly?

ClubbieTowing030.jpg

A rwd car is not gonna like this at all. Just look at what happened with Samgelinas s14, bye bye drive shaft.

Thousands of people pull their cars, suvs, 4x4s long distance behind their campers every day like that with no problems. But whatever

I guess it depends on the system, but most 4X4 are not recommended to be towed.
Seems like Jeep is ok...
Good to know.

Yeah but it's also pretty easy to remove the drive shaft. Anyway i won't argue much since i've never towed any 4x4 nor rwd. Only time i did was on a trailer.

It's problematic to tow an awd with two wheels up in the air, with all wheels on the ground I guess it's ok

I wouldn't want my track tires to wear down 2-400km every time though

Never seen a 4x4 behind an rv and much less an automatic rwd or 4x4.

Bien voyons donc, un 4x4 c'est ça qu'il y a de mieux pour se faire tirer, tu peux mettre le T-case au neutre pis la transmission vire pas, en fait automatique ou manuel ça change rien avec un 4x4 rendu là.

Check les 4x4 derrière les RV c'est souvent des sidekick/tracker/vitara/sunrunner/wrangler name it parce que leur t-case ont un neutre.

Bien voyons donc, un 4x4 c'est ça qu'il y a de mieux pour se faire tirer, tu peux mettre le T-case au neutre pis la transmission vire pas, en fait automatique ou manuel ça change rien avec un 4x4 rendu là.

LOL j'avais complètement oublier le neutre sur le transfer case hahaha wow mais quel sans dessein xD

Check les 4x4 derrière les RV c'est souvent des sidekick/tracker/vitara/sunrunner/wrangler name it parce que leur t-case ont un neutre.

Drette ca.

Back