ITT : Unusual rally cars appreciation thread

fef4691651d140192eccb66f5ffdce66.jpg

Lulz

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Un nom; Simon Dubé. Il est souvent plus rapide que beaucoup de awd. Ce gars là à visser la pédale à gaz dans le plancher. Impressionnant à voir live.

7b3b4c318ff9b8193fc20e68bd7f1b6e.jpg

The AW11 rally car that never was. I wish I could sit back and watch some highlights of this thing in action.

Toyota 222D rally car

While Toyota's front-engine, rear-drive Celica rally cars proved dominant in the African Group B rallies of the 1980s, they were at a disadvantage on the twistier European stages. Thus, in 1985 Toyota Team Europe started a rally project codenamed "222D" based on the MR2, for competition in Group S and potentially Group B as well. Though somewhat similar on the outside, it's clear that it shared very little with the production car. Little is known about this project because it never competed. With Group B cancelled in 1986, the proposed Group S regulations suffered the same fate, and the car was reduced to a museum piece.

During a surprise appearance at the 2006 Goodwood Festival of Speed, Toyota drove and displayed a black 222D. The race-ready car weighed around 750 kilograms (1,650 lb) and its transverse-mounted, four-cylinder, turbocharged engine (what appears to be a 503E race engine, though other prototypes may have used the 4T-GTE) was reported to produce as much as 750 horsepower (560 kW). A V6-powered prototype was also rumored to exist, but has never been seen in public.

Back