Mods 4 a 240sx

Status
Not open for further replies.
First things first, it depends on what you gonna do with the car.. speed costs money... how fast do you wanna go???

Le Ka24De (the stock engine) has a good potential but has never really been exploited by anyone yet.

The popular swap would of course be the SR20DE-T wich is the stock engine found in these cars in Japan since 1991 to 1999.

Altough different hp ratings are available for these engine depending on years and body styles.

As for the swap itself, its not much harder nor more complicated than swaping an acura engine in a civic...

The install is clean, stock looking, efficient and extremely performant.

lets put it this way money no object!!!one more i know this is gonna sound stupid the the engine type wut r they exactly becuz im not really familiar wit them... thanx

The stock engine (ka24de) is an in line four 2,4 liter
155hp
160 torque
it's the same engine found in some pathfinders...

There's 3 gen of engine for the SR20det, that engine is a 2,0 liter, turbocharged (found in stock production 240sx over in japan)
S13 (91-93 240sx)--- about 205 hp
S14 (94-96 240sx)--- about 220 hp
S15 (97-99 240sx)--- about 250 hp stock !!!!

Most of these power rating were found on a stock setting of 7lbs of boost.

Yeah the S15 sounds crazy, but it's almost impossible to get one over here cause they're brand new in Japan . You could get a smashed one though.

You can buy a S14 for 1,600-2,000$ here but its the installation that is pricey, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Anyways, its on my list of things to buy one day... hope it is soon.
BTW, its not man... your talking to a girl... ;) ;)

re:

how can you say it hasnt been exploited yet? havent you seen all the turboed ka24deT around. i know theres not many but there is still a couple. alot of companys even make turbo kits for this engine. i know someone in montreal who is going T very soon.

Re: re:

If i'd be buying an 240 sx should i stick with the stock engine or get an sr20det? Pros/Cons ?

Sspikey;...no not really!, for one thing these cars (S14) don't come around every corner. So for when 1 is seen it,s either parked or on the highway. There might be more turboed 240s out there than i can maybe imagine, if so i have no clue!!

The thing is with the turbo kit for that car is that it's so damn expensive it's ridiculous, and to top it off, when they say 'complete'... guess what....it's most likely not! With parts you might not necessarily feel confortable with. At the end of the line most 240 owners wanting to turbine their KA24DET end up putting a kit together with parts from here and there to their own liking and personnal confidence. wich means BIG BUCKS! In result of a kit that outstands most of any other that might be out there, with a car that boots,kicks and means serious business!!!

Power/Bang for Buck... SR20DET!!! affordable, powerful, easy maintenance(literally the same as a Sentra,SR20DE), parts are easy to find, and did i say affordable?? The only drawback that i would see from that engine is it's weak main crank/rod bearings. If you do get one, First things first, change them for new ones, it's not when the swap is done that it's time to think of what you should do if something happens!!! Do it First!

As for the KA24DET, It's potentiel is all there, it's asking to get monster power for monster torque extraction. But...expensive parts, not easily maintained(expensive parts), hard to find GOOD functionnal power parts at a good price, of course!

My $0.02 ;)

who else could be as fanatic as me about 240's !!!! ;)

re:

the turbo kits are not INsanely highly priced if you know how togo about finding them. as for the sr20det the only parts that are swapable are
Exhaust Manifold Gasket off a 91 Sentra with 2 liter SR20DE

T25 Turbo gaskets from a 300ZX TT T25 gaskets

O2 sensor from a 87 300ZX Turbo

Fuel Injectors off a 95 300ZX TT (purple plugs)

MAF 89-90 SOHC 240SX MAF (rewire plug)

clutch from a 89 Nissan Maxima 240mm 9-7/16" spline 24x1

Spark Plugs Sentra 2.0 liter SR20DE NGK spark plugs

Oil Filter B13 Sentra SE-R with 2 liter SR20DE
also the 300ZX oil filter fits on there.
other than that not much without modifying the parts.
as for the bearings. most people would recomend this on any engine thats bought used. but new ive seen people stick about 500+ hp through these things.

re:

btw the ka24de is NOT in the pathfinders. pathfinders have the VQ line of engines that are 3.5 liters. the nissan flatbeds though do have the ka24de.

Ive looked into this subject a little and Ive come to the conclusion that there are as many pros and cons on both sides.

We both agree the KA24 has potential, and for someone who takes the time, piecing parts together for a turbo doesnt have to be insanely expensive.

For the SR20DET, there are lots of good points also.
1600$ to 2000$ will not even buy you an S13 SR20DET.

They dont come cheap for 240sx's. Thats the lowest price ive seen for Bluebird SR20DET's.

Its more in the price range of 2500$ for an S13.

Also, they dont come with EVERYTHING you need. Lots of things need to be fixed or beefed up. Clutch is #1 plus you really should also upgrade the fuel pump.
Rest of tranny is fine, since its the same.

Other things it doesnt come with and that you'll need are : intercooler, intercooler piping, blow off valve, and downpipe. That right there will run you a minimum of 1500$.

Then you have installation. I have no idea about costs here, but wont be cheap, and if you do it yourself, you will save, but it'll take some time and money for tools and little parts.

Concerning the bearings, they arent weak at all. But they are used engines who have been shipped from japan, and sometimes have been sitting on a floor for months, which also have been beaten like crazy by the previous owner cause he knew he was going to change the engine anyways. You just have to replace them as a precaution and its not that big a deal.

hmm.... what else...
Well you can do the setup like that, you can also add little things, like, turbo timer, gauges, etc..., but they arent necessities.

Thats about it, I guess. Lots of info to be had on :
www.heavythrottle.com Thats all they do, SR20DET installs and resale.

For good prices, get in contact with Shaun@npclub.com for engine and parts. you can also find him at npclub.com as InfinitG our montreal nissan club.

He has several different suppliers from toronto and elsewhere.

Peace

Re: ...

Now i have a question!, which year/model are your 240sx???
And what are your so far mods??? Plans & expectations and reasons of being??

re:

i dont have a car for now but im looking for an 95-96 240SX se. probably get it end of august or en of october.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back