Do you have a mentor?

Dibbs

I recently tried to read Mastery by by Robert Greene, it's essentially a book which analyzes great masters in their fields (Mozart, Ford, Freddie Roach, etc.) and what enabled them to become such persons. Quite interesting but I gave up after the first 50 or so pages for a few reasons. The main reason being that throughout these 50 pages, he stresses the fact that you need to follow your "inner voice" / passion but that you also need a mentor to help you develop this.

I've changed jobs more than 2 years ago for a bigger and larger firm that, at the time, I thought had more learning and development opportunities for me. I came from a smaller firm with a great culture but did not allow me to develop myself properly due to capacity constraints because the firm was too top heavy (i.e.: would get a promotion in title, but not in role because there was no ability to hire someone right under me). I have to say that I admired my bosses at my previous firm, they had a lax and collegial culture, but got shit done and learned me a great deal of things about life in general but also professionally.

At my current firm, things are different and I feel that I've lost connection with the upper strata, I feel like I don't associate myself with any of my bosses' styles (whether it be direct or indirect) and therefore I lack a mentor to further push myself. I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but I'm certainly saying that I need a bit more ambition and role model to relate to.

This brings me to my question: do you guys have a mentor? whether it be a friend, family, work, or other figure? how do you think this person has helped you thrive in life?

I hope we all do.

as a man is important to have a mentor.

My boss are respectable honorable and hard working individual.
I try to fallow good example. most of the time it pay off.

Yes, Kossak is my mentor

bb3592fbbb71fce8080ce3632de0b099.jpg

I wish I had a proper business mentor when I first started years ago. I'm sure it would have saved me a lot of time (and pain... and stress).

I do read a lot of non-fiction, biographies, and several business blogs. It has obviously helped a lot. In the hundreds of books I read there are a couple of them which were key in getting where I'm at today.

Je n'ai pas de mentor mais je me suis entouré de bonne personne en qui j'ai confiance et avec qui je suis en mesure d'avoir différents avis. Chacun a une personnalité différente ce qui m'aide a voir les épreuves professionnel de différent angle.

I wish I had a proper business mentor when I first started years ago. I'm sure it would have saved me a lot of time (and pain... and stress).

I do read a lot of non-fiction, biographies, and several business blogs. It has obviously helped a lot. In the hundreds of books I read there are a couple of them which were key in getting where I'm at today.

I'm just curious if by any chance you would have any to recommend?

Related to this thread, I recommend the very good book A Hero's Journey by Joseph Campbell.

from-awakening-the-soul-of-the-writer.gif

We're all a hero in our own fairytale and we all have the need to seek adventure and slay a metaphorical dragon. To go on a journey, accomplish something, receive help along the way from various people (mentors) come back with wisdom, and share our tale ( to younger future "heroes".

The call to adventure is actually that inner voice that tells us to follow our passion, travel, launch a business, start a family or whatever. A lot of people chose to ignore that call, and simply refuse to go face their "dragon".

I'm just curious if by any chance you would have any to recommend?

We live in a world where we can find mentors very easily thanks to the internet. On youtube, I recommend Elliot Hulse and Gary Vaynerchuk. It's so easy to follow people who will help you achieve your goals on social media. Find them on youtube, facebook, twitter, instagram.

I work alone in an IT department of a company that has about 70 employees. We outsourced some development to a development firm. After a 83 hour work week, dealing with them, I told their main dev at a 4am wrap up meeting that I owed him a beer.

We ended up meeting up a few weeks later and he is so much smarter than me, and has his shit together. We started hanging out once a week talking business and ideas and having a few brews.

Couple of weeks ago I asked him if he could mentor me. He said he would be honored, and I was really happy. We've met twice since then, I'm really happy that I met him, because he has helped me a little bit each time I saw him.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sadly no and I really wish I had one. Someone real, that I can speak to one on one, not just a book to read, a blog or someone's social media presence.

Mon mentor c'est mon pere , jfais lcontraire de tout ce quil a fait dans la vie pis jmen sort crissement bien.

Interesting thread OP.

I don't have a mentor nor I ever had one. Not officially. We have inspiring and competent people around us that we focus on without even realizing it.

I don't want to brag, but I found myself recently to be inspiring many people around me. I'm at the peak of my life and competent at what I do, free minded and experienced in many fields. I had 3 promotions in 2 years. I'm healthy and I work to stay that way. People are more and more relying on me and asking me advice on stuff, but most of them tells me I'm really intimidating so I guess most are not trying.

I like to give advice once, if you don't do what I told you and still living the consequences of your shit, don't ask me again.

EDIT: I had 2 mentors when I started my career. They were assholes but I learned some cruel hard truth with them.

Mentors are great. They don't always come to you in an official form. A real mentor will be able to provide their insights on situations, based on their experiences. They will listen to you, not judge.
I have been fortunate enough in life to have both official (through professional career development) and unofficial (through my own business endeavours). I must admit that they both have their value with different outcomes.

Bottom line is, there will always be someone out there who's willing to help out (and knows more / different) than you.
If you are opened enough to understand you might not always have the best answer, these persons will come out to you...

I highly encourage you to seek a mentoring relationship, I found it helped me in both my personal and professional life.. :)

I highly encourage you to seek a mentoring relationship, I found it helped me in both my personal and professional life.. :)

Interesting concept.

What brings someone to look for a mentor?

How do you seek a mentor?

What are the interactions and frequency somebody would have with a mentor?

What is the motivation of a mentor to help you?

Je n'ai pas de mentor mais je me suis entouré de bonne personne en qui j'ai confiance et avec qui je suis en mesure d'avoir différents avis. Chacun a une personnalité différente ce qui m'aide a voir les épreuves professionnel de différent angle.

Interesting thread OP.

I don't have a mentor nor I ever had one. Not officially. We have inspiring and competent people around us that we focus on without even realizing it.

I don't want to brag, but I found myself recently to be inspiring many people around me. I'm at the peak of my life and competent at what I do, free minded and experienced in many fields. I had 3 promotions in 2 years. I'm healthy and I work to stay that way. People are more and more relying on me and asking me advice on stuff, but most of them tells me I'm really intimidating so I guess most are not trying.

I like to give advice once, if you don't do what I told you and still living the consequences of your shit, don't ask me again.

EDIT: I had 2 mentors when I started my career. They were assholes but I learned some cruel hard truth with them.

Un peu comme Mike et Carbon, je suis bien entouré, mais c'est pas quelque chose qu'on doit attendre... Les bons contact, les bonnes amitié, c'est quelque chose qui se travaille et se cultive.

Dans les derniers moi je me suis mis à me retrouver dans un double rôle: Élève par moment, mentor à d'autre moment. C'est vraiment plaisant sentir que les gens t'estiment assez pour aller vers toi lorsqu'ils veulent des conseils.

Mon conseil pour les gens qui ne savent pas par où commencer pour se trouver des mentors, c'est de commencer par donner sans jamais attendre quoi que ce soit en retour. Quand tu donne, sincèrement, constamment, les gens finissent par le voir et éventuellement la vie finie par te le redonner exponentiellement. Mais comme je dis, faut le faire sincèrement et pour les bonnes raison (genre pas en te disant qu'un jour sa va te revenir).

Mentors are great. They don't always come to you in an official form. A real mentor will be able to provide their insights on situations, based on their experiences. They will listen to you, not judge.
I have been fortunate enough in life to have both official (through professional career development) and unofficial (through my own business endeavours). I must admit that they both have their value with different outcomes.

Bottom line is, there will always be someone out there who's willing to help out (and knows more / different) than you.
If you are opened enough to understand you might not always have the best answer, these persons will come out to you...

Well said.

Back