Do you have a mentor?

Interesting concept.

What brings someone to look for a mentor?
Professionally, it's a simple way to learn from others with more experience, hence adding some tools in your bucket to fast track your career progression. They will most likely have seen and dealt with situations you didn't even know could show up in your career.

Personally, it's more of a life philosophy, where I like to constantly evolve and one way to do it is by having this kind of relationship. I know of someone that was referred to me and the lady was asking insane money for that.. I was like... fuck it! Eventually came the day where I made a business deal with a well respected person where I live. I guess this person liked me or something.. without making it official, he started to ask about my business stuff and giving advices. I was very receptive and one thing led to another... Once in a while we hangout, smoke cigars and talk about all this nice stuff.

How do you seek a mentor?
I think if you have a desire to learn you can always seekout someone who's willing to provide insights.. Start by asking well crafted questions to people you admire, seek their input in a respectful way. You would be surprised at what they have to say. It's obviously better when you have some interests in common. It's a lot about trust, also.

What are the interactions and frequency somebody would have with a mentor?
Depends, some have weekly calls. While other go with the "call me when needed" saying.

What is the motivation of a mentor to help you?
Some is simple as a "Pay It Forward" thing. (I'm like that)

Others want to share their knowledge and/or are seeking to learn how things are done now that we are in 2015 and that they don't have to deal with those specifics things anymore.. I think there is definitely a value in them working with the younger generation as they can better feel the culture shift. Cause let's face it, there is usually a good age gap between the two.

Mentors are great. They don't always come to you in an official form. A real mentor will be able to provide their insights on situations, based on their experiences. They will listen to you, not judge.
I have been fortunate enough in life to have both official (through professional career development) and unofficial (through my own business endeavours). I must admit that they both have their value with different outcomes.

Bottom line is, there will always be someone out there who's willing to help out (and knows more / different) than you.
If you are opened enough to understand you might not always have the best answer, these persons will come out to you...

I highly encourage you to seek a mentoring relationship, I found it helped me in both my personal and professional life.. :)

good post and I think that Carbon_Blue_GT asked some good follow-up questions. To me, the relationship with a mentor is more spontaneous and not very formal. You happen to be around someone that you find inspiring and with whom you feel that you're really developing yourself at hyperspeeds. I don't really see myself seeking the "formal" help of someone...

I do have a mentor at work.
He is a top gun, and i named directly, saying you are my "guide spirituel" as a joke but he really is and he takes it seriously. He gives me life advices, work advices, etc.

I'm just curious if by any chance you would have any to recommend?

When I was 15yo I started getting interested in self-improvement, entrepreneurship, etc... The 2 first books of the genre that I remember reading at that time were:

Tony Robbins - Unlimited power
Zig Ziglar - See you at the top

They cover the basics of motivation, goal-setting, and that anything is possible. It's a nice mindframe to set at a young age ;)

More or less recently, I really liked 'The 4-hour work week' and 'The 4-hour chef' by Tim Ferriss.

A few more off the top of my head:

Tony Robbins - Money, master the game
MJ Demarco - The millionaire fastlane
Ramit Sethi - I will teach you to be rich
Steve Jobs' biography
Marc Ecko's autobiography

There's also Tony Robbins' 'New money masters' dvd series of interviews which is really good. Especially the Jeff Walker and Frank Kern's interviews.

And I enjoy Marc Manson's blog a lot.

The 4-hour work week is probably the one that influenced me the most and illustrated a lifestyle that resonated very well with me. Highly recommended.

I'm a big fan of Tim Ferriss

I mentor about 10 people around the globe in my firm, if I have done reasonably well in life it's because I was always surrounded by mentors.

I don't have a mentor per se but I did connect with 2 people who have already achieved what I would like to achieve.
Sometimes they give me advice, although I try to not bother them because I simply feel uncomfortable asking for time from someone who's making 200k/month.
I do follow their blogs and pay attention to how they do things.

I ave also found a friend to whom I report my progress and my plans. If I say that I will do a certain thing by this date - now I have to be accountable for it. This really helps me to stay on course.
Of course I also read a lot of non-fiction books related to my industry. Keep learning, keep improving, keep moving forward :)

I do follow their blogs and pay attention to how they do things.

I ave also found a friend to whom I report my progress and my plans. If I say that I will do a certain thing by this date - now I have to be accountable for it. This really helps me to stay on course.
Of course I also read a lot of non-fiction books related to my industry. Keep learning, keep improving, keep moving forward :)

Exactly, the more I learn the more I realize I have a lot more to learn, the longer my reading list becomes.

A while back with my brother and 2 friends we formed a small mastermind group. It was great to bounce ideas off each other, and we kept each other accountable by reporting our progress, successes and failures every week. It was great to learn discipline.

Care to share those blogs you mentionned?

Exactly, the more I learn the more I realize I have a lot more to learn, the longer my reading list becomes.

A while back with my brother and 2 friends we formed a small mastermind group. It was great to bounce ideas off each other, and we kept each other accountable by reporting our progress, successes and failures every week. It was great to learn discipline.

Care to share those blogs you mentionned?

Masterminds are awesome. Do you guys keep doing that?

My all time favorite blog is Smart Passive Income, love his podcast as well.
QuickSprout is probably my 2nd favorite.

Back