Pontiac G8 GT, avis en 2016?

Gab.BL

Salut guys,

Après tout les treads sur sa date de sortie, sa performance, sont aspect et sont prix.

C'est tu fiable comme véhicule une G8 GT?

Tu veux acheter un G8 used ou tu parle d'un nouveau modele en 2016?

Overall c'est une excellent voiture tres solide. C'est une Holden Commodore australienne, donc beaucoup de support et de piece la bas. Ici c'est rare mais ca demeure toute une bagnole.

Si tu es capable trouver une GXP au lieu d'une GT.

I own a G8 GXP and I'm a member of a couple G8 Clubs.

Overall great car, Both the GT and GXP are awesome cars to drive. Fun and powerful!

Most problems with these cars are stupidities. IE .. typical cheap GM interior finish and bad paint. The V8 engines are tuff.

The GT can have an issue with the DOD lifters but by now most of the ones who had to go have already been replaced. I've seen several high mileage examples with the original DOD lifters. DOD can be totally removed/deactivated if you want to change a couple things. The later production GT's seem to have less issues with the DOD. Don't buy a first 888 edition but if you get a 2009 you have more chance of being ok. Check for a loud ticking noise, could be sign of bad lifters.

I wouldn't recommend a V6 version but if you are looking at the base model that 3.6 is known for timing chain issues. Make sure the recall was performed on it but once again if the chain were to stretch it would of already been done by now.

Good luck getting a cheap GXP, especially with a manual. GXP's are hard to find in general (1,829 vehicles ever made) about half are manual. Only 8 were originally sold in Canada (1 manual, 7 auto), all the others were sold in the USA.

I forgot to add, it's a heavy car, they are hard on the front suspension. Check the front top plates they tend to go early. There is a "recall" on those up to 10 years and 160,000km GM will replace them along with bushings for free. The mushroom up when they are shot.

Parts are ridiculously expensive at the dealer. Double the price from the US and triple the price from Australia. My 3rd brake light went out, GM Canada wanted $350 for the led strip and 3 weeks to order it. I ordered it from Australia for $99 shipping included and it got here in a week. There are many sources for G8 parts at a reasonable price.

Parts are ridiculously expensive at the dealer. Double the price from the US and triple the price from Australia. My 3rd brake light went out, GM Canada wanted $350 for the led strip and 3 weeks to order it. I ordered it from Australia for $99 shipping included and it got here in a week. There are many sources for G8 parts at a reasonable price.

Are jobber parts easy to find? the usual stuff you'd buy at a parts store like napa for instance?

there was a red G8 GT on kijiji a few weeks ago... 160k kms for 9950$ ... I wanted to buy it so bad!

Are jobber parts easy to find? the usual stuff you'd buy at a parts store like napa for instance?

there was a red G8 GT on kijiji a few weeks ago... 160k kms for 9950$ ... I wanted to buy it so bad!

I saw that one, it was auto en direct that was selling it. I was in town and though about seeing it and possibly getting it as a beater.

I've seen a few "cheap" GT's in the 10k range and they all seem to have issues of some sort. Accident history or piss poor maintenance. This one just seemed like a high mileage example in relatively good shape other than a bruised front bumper.

I have a GXP so some parts that are GXP specific and are harder to come by however all the engine parts are really common. The GT has lots of common parts too. If you know how to browse montreal racing you will easily find all you need online. Sites like g8board.com and grrrr8.net are great message boards for the G8 and there are several G8 specialized vendors like g8only.com, livernois ..etc. Even guys in australia that will pretty much get anything for you and ship it to canada.

Body parts and interior parts that are specific to the G8 are hard as heck to find unless you go used and even then G8's aren't common in junk yards. Also if you get into an accident it will most likely be a write-off as the body parts are super expensive to replace.

General maintenance items are easily accessible from rock auto. The dealer can still get everything but they are my last resort, crazy cost and slow to receive the parts. Thankfully I haven't really needed to purchase much since I've owned the car.

Thank's you very much FieroAlex for your expertise *tu*

Je ne pense pas trouver de GXP ici au Canada je les regarde depuis deux ans et juste des GT à vendre.

So after 2009 more chance of being ok
Front suspension top plates, see if the recall was made
No v6 (I never had a V6 vehicule so am ok)
Good to know :bigup:

You can find GXP's in Canada but they tend to be expensive. You're going to have to be willing to lay down the cash to get one and with the way the US dollar is going it's even more expensive to buy one there.

I was told that there were 4 of them in my area, we were 2 this summer at a local G8 meet that had over 40 G8's.

If ever you have more questions about the G8 just send me a private message.

Sinon depuis 2014 il y a la Chevy SS (USA only) qui semble avoir remplacer la g8
mais ca reste un vehicule de 40'000$usd

Les 3.6 de Gm ca vaut pas de la marde. Oil drinkers, lifters qui claquent, chaine qui s etire. Perso j aurais la chienne d avoir un 3.6 de Gm.

Sinon depuis 2014 il y a la Chevy SS (USA only) qui semble avoir remplacer la g8
mais ca reste un vehicule de 40'000$usd

The problem is the cost of the Chevy SS (if you can live with the chevy badge on the front).

40K USD is 58K cdn
Then to import it it's another 6.1% because it's made in Australia and 15% gst/pst and $3000 gas guzzler tax.

You're looking at 73K CAD and you haven't added the RIV fee, ac tax and the hassle of the inspections.
At that price might as well get a used CTS-V

Les 3.6 de Gm ca vaut pas de la marde. Oil drinkers, lifters qui claquent, chaine qui s etire. Perso j aurais la chienne d avoir un 3.6 de Gm.

I would also stay away, the timing chain issue is more than enough to keep me away.

Jpensais qu'il y avait seulement quelques GXP au Canada

Only 8 were sold new in Canada, but several US models were imported where the dollar was pretty good. Mine is a US model that was sold new in Nebraska. Mine is #507 of the whole production run.

Aussi la V8 ''regular'' peut tu être standard ?

Only the GXP was offered in Manual. The GT's are all automatic. You can swap them to manual but the parts will cost you half the value of the GT if not more. You can however tune that automatic transmission to shift so quick you don't really need a manual. I had a ride in a GT that was tuned and it was impressive. To be honest, It's hard to drive my G8 with a stick if I haven't driven it in a long time I'm not used to the power. There's a lot of power to the wheels and its super easy to slide a corner just by slightly putting your foot on the gas. It took me a while to get used to it and I've driven powerful cars before.

If I were to buy an SS I'd go with the automatic version with a tune.

Only 8 were sold new in Canada, but several US models were imported where the dollar was pretty good. Mine is a US model that was sold new in Nebraska. Mine is #507 of the whole production run.

Only the GXP was offered in Manual. The GT's are all automatic. You can swap them to manual but the parts will cost you half the value of the GT if not more. You can however tune that automatic transmission to shift so quick you don't really need a manual. I had a ride in a GT that was tuned and it was impressive. To be honest, It's hard to drive my G8 with a stick if I haven't driven it in a long time I'm not used to the power. There's a lot of power to the wheels and its super easy to slide a corner just by slightly putting your foot on the gas. It took me a while to get used to it and I've driven powerful cars before.

If I were to buy an SS I'd go with the automatic version with a tune.

Thanks for the answer

Loved the G8 GXP, too bad they didnt do well, like the GTO, actually probably not as bad

Sidestory , I remember busting my dad to get the 2002 35th aniversary SS/WS6, those were cool, and somewhat collectible by now

Thanks for the answer

Loved the G8 GXP, too bad they didnt do well, like the GTO, actually probably not as bad

Sidestory , I remember busting my dad to get the 2002 35th aniversary SS/WS6, those were cool, and somewhat collectible by now

Well, there was no way for the GXP to do well because Pontiac was axed before the public could really order them. The only ones that ever sold were the ones that had just arrived in America or that were already on boats towards america. Pontiac was killed off before public orders actually kicked off for the GXP model. Much like the solstice coupes the production was limited to what dealers were able to order/reserve before the ordering system was taken offline. In other words this was a model that you could only order for a few days and unless you had a good contact at a GM dealership you simply couldn't get one. What was already produced or scheduled to be produced at the time Pontiac got the Ax was all that we were getting.

The factory in Australia had planned to build several thousand of them but their production was limited to the 1829 GXP's that were completed within a couple of weeks. They (Holden) ended up doing a "special edition" in Australia with the Pontiac specific parts because they had an over abundance of bumpers, hoods and lights.

I'm pretty sure the model would of sold better than the GTO if Pontiac would of stayed around longer. The G8 isn't replacing an icon and is much more american looking then the Monaro. G8 sales overall were disappointing however if you take into consideration the economic downturn and the bad press GM was getting along with rumors of Pontiac getting axed it probably didn't help sales at that time. Overall word in the press was good and the car seemed to be well priced in the segment it was trying to get into.

What is the tune for the AT called? I couldn't find any when I was looking for G8's.. My only gripe about the GT was the relatively slow shifting automatic. I'm seriously considering getting a VY SS from the middle east in 2 years. You can already get the VX SS but its ugly af.

Back