Post Your Winter Mode 2012-13!

ElliottG

j0jdA.jpg

yITUq.jpg

Yeah...half the car was painted a Nissan or something color before I got it when it was repaired...I repainted the front fenders and hood with the same color...That door looks like a way different color in the pictures but in person it's the same. Driver side is different though.

Same as last year. 17 inch R8 reps with Nokian tyres.

Unfortunately, I will be spending at least 80% of this winter in New York. A total waste of good rubber, if you ask me.

tdir8.jpg

Last edited:
^^ aka not driving your car? Yay no rust!

aka driving my car in New York all winter as well as back and forth from New York to Montreal once a month or so. Don't need winter tires down here. Definitely need them up in Montreal and on the way there though.

Same as last year. 17 inch R8 reps with Nokian tyres.

Unfortunately, I will be spending at least 80% of this winter in New York. A total waste of good rubber, if you ask me.

tdir8.jpg

Nokian makes the WR G2 model which is a winter rated all season for exactly these kinds of situations... It has a snowflake on it, but it won't melt away in warmer weather..

Nokian makes the WR G2 model which is a winter rated all season for exactly these kinds of situations... It has a snowflake on it, but it won't melt away in warmer weather..

Yes! My sister in France just got WRs. I'm currently rolling on Hakkapeliittas (the king of winter tires, for those of you that don't know) but once they wear out it's going to be time to switch to something a little less extreme.

Yes! My sister in France just got WRs. I'm currently rolling on Hakkapeliittas (the king of winter tires, for those of you that don't know) but once they wear out it's going to be time to switch to something a little less extreme.

FYI swedish tire tests have rated the studded Continental IceContact as superior to the studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7;) In other reviews they are tied to first, or second. Regardless, the Nokians aren't really ''king'' anymore... More like among the best and by far the most expensive winter tire out there.

FYI swedish tire tests have rated the studded Continental IceContact as superior to the studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7;) In other reviews they are tied to first, or second. Regardless, the Nokians aren't really ''king'' anymore...

Impressive. Every king must fall eventually, I guess. However I would like to see a long term wear test for the Continentals.

I bought my Hakkapeliittas in winter 2007-2008. They still have at least 50% tread left and I'm about to start my 5th winter on them (skipped a year while I lived in Miami).

I drive over 30,000 km/year (winter and summer combined).

Impressive. Every king must fall. I would like to see a long term wear test for the Continentals.

I bought my Hakkapeliittas in winter 2007-2008. They still have at least 50% tread left and I'm about to start my 5th winter on them (skipped a year while I lived in Miami).

I drive over 30,000 km/year (winter and summer combined).

The IceContact come with a 104 000KM mileage rating. The Nokians come with NO mileage rating.

The only other winter tire that comes with a treadwear warranty, is the Michelin Xice3, and they only rate them for 40 000KM.

I'm not saying Nokian are crap, I loved my Nokian RSi's, but they used to like 100$ more than a top tier tire like the Blizzaks, but now they are 500$ more, and some of the competition has catched up, the others aren't very far behind...

I must confess I don't know much about tires. I do know that Blizzaks are built cheaply and will barely get you through two winters.

I also know that while everyone else is struggling to get out of their parking spot in the winter: Shoveling, rocking, cursing. I just jump in my car and drive out no problem. Also, I never have to look for parking in the winter. There is always a spot somewhere on my street that no one will dare to make an attempt at.

Those Continentals sound pretty darn good though.

Back