Tint ticket what's the deal?

ElliottG

Hey guys

I was just pulled over this morning in my A4 to check the tints.

His partner tested them and he said they were at "42". He then proceeded to tell me that the limit was 70% and I was way under...WTF. How is that even possible? I mean, my windows are dark, but I don't think they're THAT dark. Did they really mean that I was actually at 42% and the limit is 30% light blockage? All these number conventions are messed up.

They didn't even give me a warning...just a straight up $163 ticket...it's my first ticket in my life and they didn't even give me a break.

On top of it all...I bought the car like that, I didn't install them.

He never said anything about an inspection, only that I could remove the tints and pay the fine within 30 days.

So what's the deal?

Thanks,
Elliott

you'd be surprised to see how transparent the legal limit is. it's almost like not having tints at all.
by 42% the cop meant that you tints let only 42% of light pass through instead of the legal 70%. The terminology is opposite the one used in other parts of the country, where the percentage usually indicates opacity not transparency.

you're lucky you got the ticket and don't have to remove the timt. i had 20% transparency on the fronts (car bought in Ontario where this is legal) and the first time they caught me they gave me the ticket, but then 1 year later I got caught again and the cop gave me a notice to have the tints removed. That sucked, I would have preferred to pay another 160 and keep the tints.

You can just pay and keep them... if you don't get caught until next year then you're paying 160$ for the right to have them on... lol

^ yep that's about right... In quebec you basically cannot have tints , the factory laminates are very close to the 30%. Anyhow cops are taxes collectors and nothin you can do about except riot and bitch like a child for months on end tapping on kitchen utensils to change the laws...

This is just on the front windows, FWIW. You can have limo black in the back if your heart so desires.

I see. And no he did tell me to remove them as well.

Thanks,
Elliott

if he only told you so verbally without givig you a written order to do it within 48 hours then it ain't worth shit. keep the tints on and consider the $160 your yearly "tint tax". :)

i'm still waiting for the day when someone develops affordable adjustable electronic tints.

You can just pay and keep them... if you don't get caught until next year then you're paying 160$ for the right to have them on... lol

^ yep that's about right... In quebec you basically cannot have tints , the factory laminates are very close to the 30%. Anyhow cops are taxes collectors and nothin you can do about except riot and bitch like a child for months on end tapping on kitchen utensils to change the laws...

Thanks. I was planning on taking them off anyway because I got the car with them and they're all torn and were not installed properly...but I didn't think they would be over the limit like that...what did you mean by "if you don't get caught until next year", though?

This is just on the front windows, FWIW. You can have limo black in the back if your heart so desires.

Yup, I realised, thanks. :D

if he only told you so verbally without givig you a written order to do it within 48 hours then it ain't worth shit. keep the tints on and consider the $160 your yearly "tint tax". :)

i'm still waiting for the day when someone develops affordable adjustable electronic tints.

That's exactly what he did...it doesn't say anywhere on the ticket about that...no notes about removing it or getting an inspection...so I dunno WTF is going on. But again you say "yearly"...but if I get caught again in a month or something I'll just get another fine, no?

I don't even think it says 48 hours anywhere on it...but I guess that's a normal thing?

what did you mean by "if you don't get caught until next year", though?

If you choose to keep your tints on, another police officer (with tint tester in car) can pull you over and give you another ticket.
OR you can choose to remove them and leave them stock so as to not chance another ticket.

I had a blue mk4 with 50% front and 75% back, got pulled over numerous times and nothing was ever said about the tints. Now I have a silver rabbit with the same tints and nearly a year after having the car I have not been pulled over for anything. I guess you got picked out of the crowd.

But again you say "yearly"...but if I get caught again in a month or something I'll just get another fine, no?
Th "yearly" thing is not a piece of law, it was more of a light-hearted personal advice: if you don't get another fine within a year you can keep the tints and consider the $160 to be the "tints surcharge" on your yearly registration costs, lol. It's up to you and your budget. If i had lots of money i'd be ok to get a fine for tints every day and still wouldn't take them off :)

cops can pull you over for your tints again tomorrow or not for anoter 10 years if they want to, it's all a matter of luck and the cop's mood. They can give you another fine, or an order to have them removed or they can say nothing about the tints, it all depends on their mood and how they liked their morning donuts that day.

when i got pulled over the second time around the SQ officer was really pissed that he was unable to see my face while driving beside me on the freeway. so he gave me a written order to have the front tints removed. But the first time around I only got a fine because the cops were probably more interested in briging money to the city budget than anything else.

I had to remove them after getting cut twice within 3 weeks,basically what the last cop said is that your not allowed to put any kind of tint on the front windows unless comes allready factory tinted in the glass , and if they want they could double the fine after the you get the first ticket.I spoke to a friend of mine that hes a cop and told me that the legal limit is 75% light has to go true and once you get a ticket your plate is in their computers.Good luck with that ;)

since you mentioned you were planning on changing them/removing them...
- Contest the ticket
- Change them to 70%
- upon a retest or whatever they do.. you'll pass.

boom! mail me 10%

35441913.jpg

Back