News: VW Golf R coming to the U.S.?

Ask VW USA how well MK5 R32s sold..lol.

Not soo good. They were limited production to 5000 R32 in 2008. There was still a few brand new 2008 R32 in US dealers last month.

All limited edition VW don't sell soo good. We can think of 20th/337 anniversary GTI, Fahrenheit GTI,

How is that awd vs a Subaru WRX as eg?

WRX and VW Haldex are different, but comparable.

Evo X and Sti...shit box. Wow.

Well... not the same build quality or amount of luxury as the VW. But I would still not call them shit box for that reasons.

Yes. lancer and imprezas are shiboxes. no matter how much steroids you put them on.

Lancers and impreza have nothing to do with Evo's and Sti's. I don't know many factory shit boxes that would keep up with a Lambo on the track. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Lancers and impreza have nothing to do with Evo's and Sti's. I don't know many factory shit boxes that would keep up with a Lambo on the track. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I dont race lambos on the track..so i guess that's why. Not my style. simple as that.

Not soo good. They were limited production to 5000 R32 in 2008. There was still a few brand new 2008 R32 in US dealers last month.

All limited edition VW don't sell soo good. We can think of 20th/337 anniversary GTI, Fahrenheit GTI,

It was sarcasm in case you missed it :)

There is simply no room for 3 trims on a compact platform like the GTI as the price variance far exceeds what the customer is willing to pay for a compact hatch:
1. Base (2.5)
2. Sport (GTI)
3. Supersport (R)

From 20k to over 45k for a compact hatch? Really!?

well people who buy evos and STis know what they want. people who buy 40K golfs don't.

I wanted a WRX, I'll need a 4 doors in 1-2 years and absolutly want an AWD... That golf is interesting. Depend of the price and options. According to Subaru Canada;

WRX 265hp (4-door) Starting at $32,495

WRX Limited Package 265hp (4-door) Starting at $35,495 include: Leather seating surfaces, Power glass sunroof, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio

WRX 265hp (5-doors) Starting at $33,395

WRX Limited Package 265hp (5-door) Starting at $36,395 include: Leather seating surfaces, Power glass sunroof, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio

WRX STI 305hp (4-doors) Starting at $37,995

WRX STI Sport-tech Package 305hp (4-door) Starting at $41,595 include: Power glass sunroof, Pioneer® AVIC in-dash navigation/audio system, Automatic climate control, Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlights, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights

WRX STI 305hp (5-doors) Starting at $38,895

WRX STI Sport-tech Package 305hp (5-door) Starting at $42,495 include: Power glass sunroof, Pioneer® AVIC in-dash navigation/audio system, Automatic climate control, Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlights, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights

For me, the Golf R will fight these cars (price VS options). And as far as I know, Subaru AWD >>> 4motion.... I don't talk about the EVO and Ralliart because I hate the Lancer's shape. But some other people enjoy it. VW has to calculate their move before decide prices.

I wanted a WRX, I'll need a 4 doors in 1-2 years and absolutly want an AWD... That golf is interesting. Depend of the price and options. According to Subaru Canada;

WRX Limited Package 265hp (4-door) Starting at $35,495 include: Leather seating surfaces, Power glass sunroof, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio

WRX Limited Package 265hp (5-door) Starting at $36,395 include: Leather seating surfaces, Power glass sunroof, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio

WRX STI Sport-tech Package 305hp (4-door) Starting at $41,595 include: Power glass sunroof, Pioneer® AVIC in-dash navigation/audio system, Automatic climate control, Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlights, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights

WRX STI Sport-tech Package 305hp (5-door) Starting at $42,495 include: Power glass sunroof, Pioneer® AVIC in-dash navigation/audio system, Automatic climate control, Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlights, Multi-reflector halogen fog lights

For me, the Golf R will fight these cars (price VS options). And as far as I know, Subaru AWD >>> 4motion.... I don't talk about the EVO and Ralliart because I hate the Lancer's shape. But some other people enjoy it. VW has to calculate their move before decide prices.

STI Vs. GTIR is a good comparison. The STI lacks where the GTIR excels and vice versa. The GTI is an iconic car. For those with the means.. they will buy it. It's not a car for 20 year olds. And honestly...most people that i see in STI's are nerdy older people.

The new WRX STi is very disappointing from a daily driver standpoint. The interior really is raw, and all the car's touch points remind you of this. The Pioneer upgrade unit in the Sport-tech Package retails for like $350 and is mediocre at best. They've cut corners to keep the MSRP down, and you can really feel it with regards to the creature comforts. All this not withstanding the the whole 2.0L vs. 2.5L debate.

I really don't think both cars are targeting the same audience.

STI Vs. GTIR is a good comparison. The STI lacks where the GTIR excels and vice versa. The GTI is an iconic car. For those with the means.. they will buy it. It's not a car for 20 year olds. And honestly...most people that i see in STI's are nerdy older people.

Honnestly, I don't care about who drive what. That's not influence my choice. I have a MKV and like it a lot. I'll try both in time. For me, I compare the Golf R with the WRX Limited. It's $36,395 so let say I could go for the Golf R if it's under 38k..? A good point for the VW is the resale value. Will be much more higher than the WRX. It has to enter the equation. Interest rates too.

I really don't think both cars are targeting the same audience.
Maybe you're right. But both cars are targeting me...

VW Canada is not going to let the Golf R cannibalize GTI sales. There will be a considerable monetary gap between the two tiers of Golf. I really don't see them selling for less than 43K.

GTI price drop?

At 43k, it's gonna be a WRX Limited for sure!! Don't care that much about the nicer interior... Does it worth $6605?!? Not for me.

Spending 43k on a car? Go to see the oncle Sam, add 2-3k and get a sedan M3....

What are you talking about? They wouldn't spend 40k on a golf if they didn't know what they want.
I would never drive an STI or any of those cars you mentioned. EVER. Even if they were half price. I get the fact that you dont like it and you think it is expensive. I get that. But you are wrong.

you buy an evo,sti because you want a track brawler.

you buy a 370z,mustang gt,camaro ss because you want a sportscar (FR layout, manual gearbox, LSD)

you buy a golf because you want a practical daily econobox. SO you want a more sporty econobox but you're gonna pay 40K??

most cars mentioned above serves a purpose. this golf doesnt.

meh wtv. anyways at the end of the day, if you're a car enthusiast it does make sense getting something like this. I guess everyone has their reason to like a certain car.

I mean being a car enthusiast isn't something that makes sense to begin with lol.

you buy a golf because you want a practical daily econobox. SO you want a more sporty econobox but you're gonna pay 40K??

most cars mentioned above serves a purpose. this golf doesnt.

You are making it sound like the Golf handles poorly and is slow.

You are making it sound like the Golf handles poorly and is slow.

ah no dont get me wrong, this golf is really bad*ss. im just saying you'll get more performance for as much from most car today.

on another note, damn I didnt even know it was you v70sik:p. just noticed it now lol

$ USD X = $ CND
Jetta 15,995 0,992497656 15,875
Passat 27,195 1,02132745 27,775
Passat Wagon 28,755 1,018083812 29,275
CC 28,200 1,183510638 33,375
GTI 23,690 1,218868721 28,875
Golf 17,965 1,139716115 20,475
Routan 25,900 1,083976834 28,075
Eos 32,940 1,122495446 36,975
New Beetle 18,690 1,293472445 24,175
New Beetle Conv. 26,390 1,105532399 29,175
Tiguan 23,485 1,186927826 27,875
Touareg 44,450 1,08976378 48,440

Here is a little comparaison between USD and CND for basic models. I guess they're not exactly the same in both country so it's worth what it's worth... My factor is 1,12. A 34k usd would be a 38k cnd.

X2

You guys are all over that interior...
NOT that impressive and boring IMO. Gray, gray and more gray. Then again, gray has become the industry standard these days.

Grab a customized hair dresser car; mini cooper, citroen ds3, fiat 500. There are many interior (and exterior) combinaisons to show your colors to the world.

Selon certaines informations pour le Canada ce serait;

-4 portes seulement
-manuelle seulement
-une seule couleur soit le bleu
-39995$ + prep.

Golf-R20-2.jpg

Si c'est vrai, je n'en veux pas.

Back