Investing Money

h-lover

Legacy Member
Does anyone here know a lot about investing? I may be getting an inheritance soon and before I do proper research I thought I'd ask around here what people thoguht. I've spoken to banks and I'm unimpressed. They give you a list of funds that they invest in and they are all like 1-3% return or whatever and it just looks so packaged and boring. People like Bernie Madolf and stuff who invest other people's money...is this a viable option (obviously not Madolf but you know what I mean). Are there professionals who are not banks who take people's money and invest it because they just know a shitload about the stock market. Or are all these people the ones managing the funds for the banks getting only a few percent return per year and anything else is either sketch. I'd like to get a return of 5-8% annually which I think is feasible and don't want high risk.

5-8% sans risque élevé ? Tu rêves. Si c'était aussi facile on aurait tous de l'argent à 8% de rendement.

selon l'horizon, 5-8% sans risque élevé c'est tres possible.

si le montant est significatif, met cet argent dans les mains d'un fee-based advisor

touche pas aux aviseurs des banques ou ceux qui ont des cotes sur certains produits qu'ils vendent..

Just invest in high risks investsments packages from a celi at your bank. I wouldn't call it risky if you keep it there longterm (5+ years)

Go see a financial planner/advisor or Investment advisor.

They will help guide you to the right investments for you, your risk tolerance, tax efficiency etc.
You cant say what return % you want, then what risk level..doesn't work that way.
Risk and return are directly related and performance of any given investment can not be guaranteed.
Tax also differs depending on how the money is invested.

Most guys at the front office of banks are not qualified to be planners but can only sell you funds from their bank and generally not qualified to advise on all surrounding issues of estate transfer/investment,tax efficiency etc.

A planner usually can provide investments from many different companies (even if captive) so can get the best for you..,any work independently and are considered self employed but you are protected in the fact that you are not making any payments out to the planner directly but to the firm they "work for"..so you know you are not involved in a Madof Ponzi scheme. If you want someone to talk to as a start to your research, PM me.

Does anyone here know a lot about investing? I may be getting an inheritance soon and before I do proper research I thought I'd ask around here what people thoguht. I've spoken to banks and I'm unimpressed. They give you a list of funds that they invest in and they are all like 1-3% return or whatever and it just looks so packaged and boring. People like Bernie Madolf and stuff who invest other people's money...is this a viable option (obviously not Madolf but you know what I mean). Are there professionals who are not banks who take people's money and invest it because they just know a shitload about the stock market. Or are all these people the ones managing the funds for the banks getting only a few percent return per year and anything else is either sketch. I'd like to get a return of 5-8% annually which I think is feasible and don't want high risk.

I can def help. Pm me the amounts and give me more informations about your expectations and i will see if we can work togetter.

Go see a financial planner/advisor or Investment advisor.

They will help guide you to the right investments for you, your risk tolerance, tax efficiency etc.
You cant say what return % you want, then what risk level..doesn't work that way.
Risk and return are directly related and performance of any given investment can not be guaranteed.
Tax also differs depending on how the money is invested.

Most guys at the front office of banks are not qualified to be planners but can only sell you funds from their bank and generally not qualified to advise on all surrounding issues of estate transfer/investment,tax efficiency etc.

A planner usually can provide investments from many different companies (even if captive) so can get the best for you..,any work independently and are considered self employed but you are protected in the fact that you are not making any payments out to the planner directly but to the firm they "work for"..so you know you are not involved in a Madof Ponzi scheme. If you want someone to talk to as a start to your research, PM me.

A lot of good points here but being in the domain i can tell you that a lot of independents are sharks too. It is a domain where we live of comission so obviously opinions can be very biaised. My comission is basically on the growth of the portfolio so i have no advantage of recommending inferior products since the more money my clients make the more i do. Unfortunately a lot of companies pay comission only per sale which can make it very tricky. It is also not true that bank people can only sell self designed investments. It all depends what you do at the bank.

just buy property and become a slum lord. the return is more and property doesn't lose in my opinion.

Not necessarely... it all depends on how much cash down you are putting VS interest paid ETC...

Moi je veux investir dans l'immobilier mais j'ai pas encore assez d'argent. Dans 2-3 ans, si je trouve un partenaire fiable. Pour le moment j'ai l'Argent dans un CÉLI bien basique, j'hésite à aller ne bourse surtout vu les résultats économiques récents. Acheter de l'or? Je sais pas... J'ai un peu moins de 15 000$

Mais les propriétés ne vont pas continuer de toujours monter plus que le reste du coût de la vie cependant, même si je ne crois pas trop à un krach à court-moyen terme pour autant.

A lot of good points here but being in the domain i can tell you that a lot of independents are sharks too. It is a domain where we live of comission so obviously opinions can be very biaised. My comission is basically on the growth of the portfolio so i have no advantage of recommending inferior products since the more money my clients make the more i do. Unfortunately a lot of companies pay comission only per sale which can make it very tricky. It is also not true that bank people can only sell self designed investments. It all depends what you do at the bank.

Anyone from anywhere can be sharks.
It happens when you are commission based and more so when you have certain quotas placed upon you.This is not where the main issue lies but the flexibility in product offering. A TD advisor is probably not going to recommend Dynamic funds regardless of the performance of those funds in comparison to their own...Nor will an advisor at RBC look at say Great West life or Manulife products.
There are also fee based advisors if people are worried about biased advising.

Although i use "regular banks" for many different products, I know a lot of financial planners and IA's. One of the best IA's I know is with BMO nesbitt burns but every planner i know who has started with a bank, ended up either going independent or to a wealth management company.

However, i also recommend people speak to a few different people and find the best fit for them. That person may be you.

Invest? In the stock market? You must be joking.

Do yourself a favor and visit www.zerohedge.com and www.globalresearch.ca

After doing some homework, you'll see that now is definitely not the time to invest in any kind of equities, bonds and especially real estate.

Buy physical gold and silver and hold it. You can purchase it at Scotia bank or Kitco.

Don't you people think that gold value will drastically go down some day? I's worth more than twice it's value a few years ago no?

So, buying gold and selling it when the "indice de confiance" on the stock market is better is what I should do?

I've been purchasing silver once a month since last November. Gold is out of my reach. However, if I had suddenly earned a large inheritance, then yes I would also buy gold.

I also have investments in TD E-Series and in Peter Schiff's Europacific fund.

Gold may go down temporarily (like we saw in the last 48 hours due to HKMEX jacking up margins by 26%) but the trend is still very bullish. Same for silver, although it tends to be more volatile.

Buying gold now is fucking stupid. It's at a record high right now, but real estate and the markets in general are so shitty, the only way they're going in the long term is up. You may lose a little (or alot of money) in the short term, but if you have enough money to weather the recession, you're much better off investing it with a financial planner than buying a single commodity which will only lose value as confidence in the markets grow (and it will happen eventually).

If it's a long term investment you're looking for, go see a financial planner (look for one that's serves professional associations, like architects, doctors, dentists, etc). They're going to evaluate what level of risk you're willing to take and invest the money accordingly. A smart man will diversify his portfolio. Don't put all your eggs in one basket;)

hey whats up..
perhaps you did not see my financial advice forum.. I am the official financial advice sponsor here on montrealracing.com for the past 5 years or more..
if you have any questions.. let me know..

I operate as an independent broker.. and can offcer all financial products, from GIC's, Mortgages to personal insurance needs..

www.montrealracing.com/financialadvice

Tony.

Difficult but not impossible in these markets. Don't buy & hold in these markets. Look for dividend paying stocks, wait for gold to correct a bit, look to oil stocks. Oil and energy will bounce back, the world needs it and it is in short supply. Emerging markets is also another segment to look at.

Back