Mk5 tdi

A lot of the folks that drive the 1.9 on tdiclub.com say that the 2005-06 1.9 TDI is the best diesel volkswagen ever made. A lot of people don't seem to like the 2.0 all that much but I can't tell you why. The 1.9 had been in production for N/A since 1991 I believe - It's an oldie but a goody. I am sure both engines have their own issues though.

There are a few of us that drive 1.9s on here. Mario and Chris being 2 that I know. Their cars have much higher mileage than mine (I have 77,000km) and should be able to chime in with a little more info on the 1.9.

I am actually curious myself. Im thinking of turning in my GTI for a TDI just because of my familly getting bigger

Yes the engines are tanks. It's everything else that can be the problem on some mkv.

Mkv are actually pretty reliable. I have 195 XXXkm on my tdi, I did 100 000km in the last 2 years without any major problems from the engine. Clutch/flywheels are one of the week point on the tdi.

That's true - Engine is problem free but I have never ending electrical issues with my car. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the car's behaviour is a feature or a part gone bad. For example: When you shut off the car and remove the key, the windows are supposed to operational for 10 minutes or until you open the door. At one point, if I pulled the one touch roll up and opened the door while the windows were still moving, they would continue to go up - convenient! A few months later, the windows stopped working when the key was out altogether. Turns out my door latches had gone bad and were replaced under warranty. At another point, my rear window would roll up on it's own, whenever it decided to.

None of the endless list of issues I have had affect the drivability of the car (except the turn signals that would start flashing the wrong direction sometimes). These are things I wouldn't fix if I wasn't under warranty. In fact, the repair bill for the window that rolled up on its own (under warranty) was several thousand dollars so I couldn't afford to fix it.

all depends on what wether u wanna lease or buy , 1.9 tdi have flywheel/clutch and camshaft problems , other then that they run great ..... 2.0 clean diesels have alot more shit on them , especiall thier particulate filter on the exhaust which is mad expensive , if u plan on leasing id go with a 2.0 tdi cuz better gas and faster and under warantee , if ur planning on buying id go with a 1.9 cuz theyve been around for years and we know they are still tough , for the 2.0 tdi who knows what theyll be like in 3 -6 years, maybe theyll be fuckin garbage

I have a 2001 1.9 and dad has a 2009 2.0

amazing engine on both! I love mine because it never broke down.

Love my dadMs even more because it's stupid silent compared to mine! it really makes almost no sound at all! which can be a big plus... older models really are quite loud when at idle... inside the car though, pretty much the same

love my dad's also because it starts so easy even when it's -40... mine... has a harder time... both get there! one just does it more effortlessly :p

I think mine has better fuel mileage... but maybe it's because I chipped it! I would say they are now on par performance-wise! but his is stock :p

of course interior is good looking on both cars, his has just way more option, including the HUD! which I think mine lacks... dunno why they had the option in europe and not here... grrrr... anyway! depends a lot on your budget, because they sure as hell are not the same price :p

both great cars :p

p.s. never had ANY problems with mine, including electrical! even had my harness for the trailer go into water! had smoke comming out of the hazard light button! and all I did was replace the fuse and that's it :p IT'S A TANK! :p

My father's also never had any problems, but it's only 3 years old so...

I have a 2001 1.9 and dad has a 2009 2.0

amazing engine on both! I love mine because it never broke down.

Love my dadMs even more because it's stupid silent compared to mine! it really makes almost no sound at all! which can be a big plus... older models really are quite loud when at idle... inside the car though, pretty much the same

love my dad's also because it starts so easy even when it's -40... mine... has a harder time... both get there! one just does it more effortlessly :p

I think mine has better fuel mileage... but maybe it's because I chipped it! I would say they are now on par performance-wise! but his is stock :p

of course interior is good looking on both cars, his has just way more option, including the HUD! which I think mine lacks... dunno why they had the option in europe and not here... grrrr... anyway! depends a lot on your budget, because they sure as hell are not the same price :p

both great cars :p

p.s. never had ANY problems with mine, including electrical! even had my harness for the trailer go into water! had smoke comming out of the hazard light button! and all I did was replace the fuse and that's it :p IT'S A TANK! :p

My father's also never had any problems, but it's only 3 years old so...

Keep in mind that the question here isn't between the MK4 and the MK5 but between the 1.9 and 2.0, on the MK5. The BRM engine (1.9 MK5 TDI) is far quieter and much more refined than the 1.9s of yore. It's still a good deal louder than the 2.0 but it sounds a lot less "broken" (to ignorant people) than the older 1.9s. It also starts up no problem at -30C - Just don't try that at 3am or you will have a bunch of very angry and very awake neighbours.

Back